Removing center bench/livewell & mounting long ways

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott06z71

Reaction score
My 14' Ouachita has a live well in the center bench. It is a hassle stepping over it and doesn't leave me alot of floor space. I was thinking of removing it and then remounting it along the side running long ways instead of accross the boat. I was going to have the plug hole in floor of boat welded shut and just use it for dry storage instead of a live well. This would leave a front and rear bench still in place to give cross support for the hull. I was then going to put wood flooring down. Anybody have any thoughts or experience doing this? I attached a picture, it is not too good I need to empty the boat out and take a better one. The center bench/livewell has the tackle box on it.

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 828
Is there enough room to run it sideways on a 36" and if so would it be too much weight on one side? Then you might start thinking of additional support.

My 1648 had the center seat/storage removed when I bought it. The previous owner had removed it and mounted it on a piece of plywood so it could be set back in the space it used to occupy. I have since discarded it.

I did have some concern about the structural integrity of the hull with it removed. However, I do not use it where and when it will be tested. I keep to the bays and calm water and don't run rivers with it. I took it out on my pond and did my best to see if I could flex it with just my weight. Not one bit. I had an aluminum plate welded from one rib to the next in the space and mounted a pedestal and a swivel seat on the plate. Still no flex to the hull. The plate did flex a bit, but I cut a 2X4 to fit tightly between the plate and floor and that removed what little flex there was.

I use a cooler as a live well which I put in when I need it.

I used to own a Duracraft 1436, which I modified. I installed a deck similar to that in my jetboat, with foamboard paneling under the decking. When I installed the deck, I had cut the welds on the center bench seat and removed it, so it would be easy to place the deck in the boat as one piece.

But instead of mounting the seat back like it was, I modified it by removing the foam, and welding an end plate on each end, as well as welding a bottom in it, then, cut a hatch in the top and made a lid. I didn't re-attach it in any way, just set it in there. But I was usually by myself in that boat, and if anyone was with me, I made sure to warn them about not leaning back because the bench seat wasn't attached.

It worked GREAT for storage. And since it wasn't welded back in place, I always had the option of removing it completely, which was good for oyster harvesting, because it gave me a lot more room, a wide open deck from the rear bench seat to the front platform. Or, because of the gradual taper of my boat's hull, I could set it in the boat as a bench seat, ranging from being right in front of the rear bench seat, to just a couple of feet away from the front platform seat.

I still kick myself in the @ss every day for getting rid of that boat!

Wow. That was my first boat..(14' Ouachita)...about 1972. What a great boat that was. Caught more fresh water fish in that boat than all the others that followed.

I found this picture on from another user on here. I sent him a pm but haven't got a reply yet. This is the same boat as mine. His pictures shows the center livewell /bench removed. It really opens the floor up. I have a young son that will be going out with me and with the floor open it will make it easier and less crowded for us. I plan on putting down plywood floor and putting a low removable pedestal seat in the center for him. I like the idea of mounting the livewell to plywood that way I could take it in and out of boat if I want to use it. I'm redoing the transon now and this is my next project. Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

• boat like mine with livewell removed2.jpg
    boat like mine with livewell removed2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 733
I need suggestions for the best way to remove the center bench/livewell. Looking at the picture that I attached from another user it looks like he cut it out leaving the rivets in the boat. That way no rivet holes to worry about filling. I'm going to put plywood and carpet on the sides to cover it. I appreciate any feedback and comments from you guys that have already done this.

Latest posts