Replacing my 9.9 with a new 15 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the flywheel off today. One set of points was closed and the other set was almost closed. I set the gap to .020 like the book said to. Nothing seemed loose, they were tight I could not move the points without loosing the screw. I'm going to go ahead and replace both points and condensers. I'm thinking that the points gap being closed is why it stopped running.

Make sure the oiling wick is replaced. It comes pre-lubed, so use it just like it is and don't add any lube. If your points closed up, it's possible the rubbing blocks wore down from lack of lube. Too much lube and it flies off onto the points and they burn. Take the time to clean and lube the points plate, where it rides the block, so there's no wear problem in the future. Use OMC 'Moly Lube'. I would do the whole throttle system right from the twist grip back...but its a lot of work. Kind of tricky. 40 year old grease hardens up, the parts get sticky, it requires more force to operate the throttle, and the little brass gears get mangled up. BRP has marked these part prices dearly. When these engines are right, they are a blast. The 15hp keeps right up to the old 18hp Fastwin.

Thanks for the advice Boat2fast. I ordered a tuneup kit from iboats yesterday it is 2 condensers & 2 sets of points. I'm planning on working on it Friday. I will see if I can pickup the lube you are talking about from a local dealer. I have already rebuilt the carb, fuel pump and replaced gas tank, gas hoses, primer bulb and spark plugs so hopefully this will get it running again. It should be running good after all this. Compression is 125 on both cylinders. I ready to get back out on the water.

Latest posts