Rod Building

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natetrack

Reaction score
Does anybody do any rod building?

I just ordered some manuals and books on how to do this. It looks really cool and hopefully I will be able to get good at it. Maybe one day I can start my own business selling custom rods. I'm looking forward to getting started.

I do a little, I've built maybe 4 or 5 rods. I have a flippin' stick that I still need to finish(yes, from last summer!)

I have a small rod shop (soon to be expanding) in my basement. I do repairs and build a dozen or so rods per year to support my bad habits. Please forgive the poor photography skills.

2008_1007Image0016.jpg

2008_1007Image0017.jpg

2008_1007Image0018.jpg

Just started myself, posted a rod that I built for my daughter in the rod section back in Jan.

My son is building his first one right now for Momma. He's only 11. The installing parts seems easiest to do, its the knowledge thats hard, the guides will take awhile for me, do to so much out there, that was a hard place to begin for me. Heck I already have been talking to some guys on the Micro guides, stuff can get over whelming #-o

I can tell its goona be a great hobby, waiting to build my second one next.

So, do you have any tools started yet? I think that was just as fun building those :wink:

Welcome aboard shfishinsticks :D
Nice work, so by expanding your rod building does that mean you found a way to get a income off it?

Or is the Hobby just getting that big?

Welcome to the board shfishinsticks. Those are very nice rods.

I have been reading a lot the last couple days and think I will enjoy it as something to do in the evenings after the kids go to sleep.

What tools do you recommend?

wow shfishinsticks, those grips are cool. That's rubber impregnated cork right? How'd you make patterns?

btw, my work is way too sloppy to ever take money for! :D

those cork handles look great!

my buddy does it as a hobby but he only messes with painting / finsihing them and leaves the handles alone.

how much you sellin those for??

natetrack
If you have Tom Kirkman's book....that's a great place to start. I've read it a couple times. Lurk around https://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2 and https://www.rodbuildingforum.com/ . There's a lot of knowledge there....and don't be afraid to ask questions.

You really don't need any specialty tools. sharp scissors, razor blades, burnishing tool, rattail files for reaming grips, light, and alcohol (for epoxy cleanup and consumption). I prefer denatured for clean-up and homebrew for consumption.

Nickk
The only rubberized cork is the butt cap. The other stuff is a composite cork material, similar to the rubberized, but without the rubber. I have a jig that aides me in cutting the rings to make the checkerboard inlays. Here's a pic of the cutting jig I had prior to getting my current one.

2007_0727Image0004.jpg

2007_0727Image0006.jpg

The old one cut the ring in to 8 pieces. The new one cuts in to 12 pieces.

Loggerhead Mike
The matching pair were built as His & Her's wedding gifts. They sold for $420 for the pair. They were St. Croix SCII 6'6" MLF2 blanks, Fuji Alconite guides & American Tackle Aero reel seat.

The one with the elliptical inlay is my personal rod. If I were to build a duplicate, it would be around $375. It is a St. Croix SCIII 7'6" MLXF, Fuji Ti/SiC guides (TATSG & TLSG micros) & American Tackle Aero reel seat.

Making the grips is my favorite part! That's taking it to a whole new level.

Here's the grip on my CB843 Loomis
CastingRod004.jpg

Latest posts