Running Outboard Cables / Fuel Through Splashwell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_4X4

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Is it advisable to do this? I'm not talking about just drilling a generic hole in the splashwell to run things through, but more some kind of grommet or something that doesn't negate the purpose of a splashwell but allows for a cleaner outboard setup. I've seen one device that was a long steel tube running into a rubber grommet on a collar but I also don't really want a massive tube sticking up there either. I'm sure there are some challenges, particularly with the larger tubing needed for fuel and even perhaps creating too much of an angle on the throttle cables but I'm curious if anyone has done this to give me some ideas on the modification.

I have a feeling that cleaning up all the cables and hose has a lot of challenges to accomplish, and perhaps only doable for a part of the mess and not all of it. I've also read a lot of debate if splashwells are even really necessary (no, I'm not considering removing the splashwell in any way), but given that my old boat has a self bailing bottom drain rather than the traditional transom drain, having too much water in the stern could be a hassle. I've considered putting a transom plug in but I could also just put a bilge pump back there if it really is a problem, which so far it hasn't been.

Or is it just better to run the cables neatly around the splashwell on the gunnels? Of course this would create undesirable angles on the throttle and shift cables to keep them neat, otherwise I have to run them over the splashwell anyway and this might all be an exercise in futility 😉.

Mfgrs have been running cables and fuel lines thru splashwells for decades !! You do need a plastic/ rubber grommet to protect from sharp edges !! Do not put the hole at the low point of the splashwell of you are defeating its purpose. My Sylvan has a 2" dia hole for the cables and fuel line up near the highest point in the splashwell....go look at a few boats....very popular !!

Airshot, thanks for the input. I have seen them but didn't know if where were other things happening there other than a hole and a grommet, and if I were to do it I would do it at the high point of the splashwell anyway.

Yes, it's fine. Cable boots are available from many places.

The throttle/gear cables don't always pass through it but I suppose they could if long enough to loop them properly. Many follow the steering cable and the cables will have a 90* loop in them to keep them from kinking.

Many boats that have a rear deck simply leave the bilge hatch lid a couple inches short that everything passes through between it and the splashwell.