SHIFT ROD SCREW ON A 1993 JOHNSON 48 HP?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHNSON44

Reaction score
OK, I am no great mechanic but I can read fairly well.
I am going to put a water pump kit and carburetor kits in this motor because I have no idea how long it sat dry or if they were ever replaced, and the motor ran rerally rough last year. My SELOC Manual on pg 7-13 for removal of the lower unit step 3, says "remove the shift rod screw (protruding under the top engine cover above the exhaust housing)". I CANNOT FIND THAT SCREW. There is a 9/16 bolt (I think not a screw) that connects the shift mechanism horizontally to the body of the engine. I hesitate to take it off (wont clear the housing anyway) without knowing if that is the right one. I would really appreciate some help.

Check out this link. I think your dealing with #9, #14 or maybe #4
https://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=kou51rgfpf9h0jd8cg36q85vr6&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

I hate removing the shift rod inside the engine pan. I would lower the lower unit and see if you can unbolt the shift rod that way.

I am blown away with this site. Looks to be #14. If I can get thru the snow to the shop I shall check it out. Thank you.......Thank you..........Thank you.

The screw is located under the carbs. Look under the carbs on the starter side. The easiest way to remove it is to remove the starter. Then you can access the shift rod easily. It's not really a screw, but a small bolt - 3/8" socket.

Latest posts