Shifting Issues on 1985 30 horse evinrude.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Rider

Reaction score
Well I finally have an issue I can't figure out with my 30 horse evinrude. I haven't totally tore into this yet but let me explain what happened this past weekend. After running lines all evening without a glitch my motor wouldn't shift into forward. I was floating in about 4' of water and started the motor. It cranked right up. Went into reverse no problem but when I shifted into forward nothing. Motor still was running, but no engagement. I could still put it in reverse, but nothing in forward. I mean there was no clanking, or grinding or anyting to give me a clue as to why it would have not shifted. As of right now I have the motor in the garage ready for tear down, but I thought I would see if there are any recomendations as to what it may be. I did try shifting it in the garage and had it successfully engage a couple times, but then not a few other times. One possibility I thought of was that I took off the lower unit the day before the trip to check the impeller. I am thinking maybe when I put it back on it the shifter rod got out of adjustment or something along that line. I have never had issues before and I have never had metal shavings come out of the lower unit oil. Either way any help is apreciated. Also has anyone taken apart their lower unit to change seals? Do I need any special tools? It is a through hub exhaust. Thanks.

I can't help ya, but I know there are others that will be around that know those Evinrude's like the back of their hand.

Does your shift rod have a coupler you undo after you drop the lower unit?If so you probably didn't get it together like its supposed to be.That's the first place I'd look.

I think this is just a linkage adjustment problem, don't tear into it yet.

If this is the through-hub exhaust model, with the linkage attached behind the water screens in the lower unit, there is a certain way to disconnect so that the linkage stays aligned. You are supposed to turn only the top nut, not the bottom one. If you have turned the bottom one, you need to re-align. I am not sure exactly what that entails, but it may be as simple as turning that bottom nut one way or another and testing it out...

If it is the non-though-hub exhaust, the linkage is in the leg, check to make sure it is fully connected in the correct place.

Yeah the linkage is behind the screens. I have to seperate the two nuts to lower the lower unit off. I will play with it tonight to see what I can find out. I am hoping that is all it is.

Well apon further investigation I foudn that the shifter linkage was the issue. One I think I turned the lower nut to much, and two I am missing the plastic piece that holds the upper nut on the shaft. Once I get the part in I am sure everything will be back to normal. Thanks for the help.

nice, that little plastic piece can be a pain. I had to shim mine last time i changed the impeller. Hope that fixes it.

I lost mine when I was changing the impeller last year, was able to use a plumbing supply feral, cut it in 2 pieces and it worked just like the Johnson/Evinrude part. Glad to hear you have it figured out. Flintcreek :)

Latest posts