Should I bolt My Motor On?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumbles1960

Reaction score
I mounted my 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke to my Jon the other day, I noticed that 2 holes are provided to allow the motor to be directly bolted to the transom in addition to the screw clamps. I have already installed the safety chain, do you guys recommend using bolts also?

I'd bolt it,maybe thats just me.
Your chain will stop it from going deep but the prop might still come up and scare ya.

I went ahead and bolted mine on. It was more to keep the honest people honest. But it was fine before it was bolted.

I would bolt it you just never know when it could fly off.I have seen transom clamps work loose from vibration .

If you don't plan on taking it off, bolt it. However, I have mine setup to run electric only as well, so I didn't bolt my 40 tiller (it actually lacks bolt holes, so I would have to make some were I to bolt it). I just check the clamps every so often.

I just cranked mine down as tight as I could get it without breaking the handles on the screw-clamps & then padlocked the two handles together. Cant work loose & keeps people honest.

I bolt my 9.9 on using wing nuts. I can take the motor on and off without much effort. My clamps didn't seem that secure, especially when I put the motor in the up position while fishing shallow.

Latest posts