Should I Gluvit or not...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
1236 alumacraft 2010 model with no leaks or damage besides one dent on the side/bottom from pulling over a log. I was thinking about using Gluvit to coat the bottom to add a little strength and thickness just in case i hit a stump or rock one day. My question is, would you add this to the bottom of your hull if it has no leaks as of yet? I run a lot of shallow areas and am looking for that little extra piece of mind that my hull has an extra barrier against the stumps etc.

The Gluvit 2lb can supposedly covers an area of 25-35 sq.ft. That should be plenty to cover the bottom (only areas under water when running) of my 1236 i would think?

I wouldn't unless the boat had a tendency to leak. For example, an older riveted hull that get's used on rivers often.

x2

that stuffs expensive, and for the time and effort put into it you won't get much in return. I don't think it will protect your hull much. The stuff work's great as a sealant for leaky rivets/seems however, but i dont think theres much you can do about protecting against stumps and rocks. Hitting anything hard enough to do severe damage to a tin wouldn't be protected by any sort of hull coating in my opinion.

Latest posts