Snapped my pull rope - 1956 Evinrude 7.5

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
Long time no talk all...

I snapped the pull rope on my outboard. 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp.

I youtubed and could not find this exact make and model, but did find similar vides where they show the rope coil...
That you have to counter clockwise turn it 14 times, and re-coil the rope while keeping tension on the coil.

Is that as simple as it sounds?
Anyone have any other thoughts I need to consider whilest perfomring said repair.

Pretty much. Don't take the hub or spring apart, you'll hate yourself.

I usually wind them up, gently clamp it with a C-clamp (sometimes those springy hand clamps will also work) so it can't turn, then thread your rope through the hub. Once it's knotted (don't let go of the other end!) turn the clamps loose and let the pulley pull in as much rope as it will take. Pull out just enough rope to keep it a little bit tight when retracted (so the handle doesn't flop around), thread your handle on, and tie the last knot at the appropriate length. Done. You may need to redo the knot once or twice to get the tension right.

It can be tedious, a good pair of hemostats to grab the rope through the hole in the pulley will help. It's hard to push a rope. :LOL2:

Any other recoil is done the same way, chainsaw, weedeater, whatever. Unless the spring is broke, don't touch it. My thumbs ache just thinking about winding one of those up for installation.

MrGiggles said:
Pretty much. Don't take the hub or spring apart, you'll hate yourself.

I usually wind them up, gently clamp it with a C-clamp (sometimes those springy hand clamps will also work) so it can't turn, then thread your rope through the hub. Once it's knotted (don't let go of the other end!) turn the clamps loose and let the pulley pull in as much rope as it will take. Pull out just enough rope to keep it a little bit tight when retracted (so the handle doesn't flop around), thread your handle on, and tie the last knot at the appropriate length. Done. You may need to redo the knot once or twice to get the tension right.

It can be tedious, a good pair of hemostats to grab the rope through the hole in the pulley will help. It's hard to push a rope. :LOL2:

Any other recoil is done the same way, chainsaw, weedeater, whatever. Unless the spring is broke, don't touch it. My thumbs ache just thinking about winding one of those up for installation.

Much appreciated.

Ahhhhhh that number of turns is just a close to get you there. Try to cut your starter rope the correct length get everything done and rewind the spring. When it feels about correct then pull the rope through and test it without putting the handle on it and knotting it. If you don't have enough turns on the counter wind put it back through and wrap another turn or so.

Remember you are working with a 60 some year old spring that has lost some of it's tension. The last thing you want to do is over wind it and break it.

Latest posts