Tac not working

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allstate48

Reaction score
Took the boat out yesterday, not the first time this year, and the tac said 6000 rpm, and not half speed. Shut the motor down, and the tac was stuck on 1500 rpm. Started the motor, taped on the face of the tac, and it went down. Is it time for a new tac, or, can it be fixed. It's a 1997 model. thanks Doug

Some of those tachs are wind or magnetic driven.A little mist of spray lube inside the housing will usually help.Most all tachs are mechanical inside,even the electronic ones.

Most tachs stop at whatever the last RPM was before shutting down, after a few months. Having never dug down inside one, I don't yet know why, but I know it has been like that on almost every outboard boat I have been on. If it catches back up to where it should be when the motor is running, I wouldn't worry about it.

Every tac I've had went to the RPM's the motor was running, and when you stopped the motor the tac went back to zero. This is the way it's been since the Sun tac, in a 55 chevy, 62 chevy. All the other ones I've had. Never had one do this. Thanks Doug

allstate48 said:
Every tac I've had went to the RPM's the motor was running, and when you stopped the motor the tac went back to zero. This is the way it's been since the Sun tac, in a 55 chevy, 62 chevy. All the other ones I've had. Never had one do this. Thanks Doug
Sorry, I meant boat tachs. Not sure why they do this (haven't yet busted one open to see how they actually function), but that is just my experience on various outboard powered boats.

Mine will hang where the rpms were when the ignition was shut off. I can energize the circuit without turning the motor over and it goes to zero.

Quackrstackr said:
Mine will hang where the rpms were when the ignition was shut off. I can energize the circuit without turning the motor over and it goes to zero.

All the electric tachs I have ever had does this except the cable driven ones.

Latest posts