Taking Up the Slack?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I had responded to this post, I must be getting old...Put an old plastic garbage can in the bow and stern upside down. Put a 2x4 across them and make a tent to shed the water. Tie straps under the hull to pull the sides tight.
I have done that in years well gone by...worked great but you need a good tarp as the wind will make a short life from a cheaper one !!

I hear that with beef up was thinking same thing for a temp/ I have used the portable shed's with water proof tarp they last quite a while not like 20 or 30 yrs. but I have one that has lasted 10 yrs. "Cloth" and all I had to do was get a heavy duty water proof tarp to throw over it for $40.00 original portable 8X10 cost me $100.00 at Tractor supply on discount of $230.00/ for some reason they couldn't sell em????? now we are talking doing plastic or metal corrugated sheets on frame & make perm. I also have a 10 x15 thinking of just getting another frame & doing plastic & metal corrugate too as plastic for roof as lets light in and rest metal for side protection& be able to hook up a couple shelves for parts & etc. have enough property so can hide em from main road & view // You see talking to you guys gets my motor working between ears!!!!🤔+🧠= New portable shed !(y):D
Exactly! We also made corner brackets and we have two 10’x20’ that are going on 8 years. Instead of replacing roof tarp we add a new one every year or 2 as needed. Haven’t damaged it with the snow rake yet! Like you (unless I win the lottery) I’d like to make it permanent

Exactly! We also made corner brackets and we have two 10’x20’ that are going on 8 years. Instead of replacing roof tarp we add a new one every year or 2 as needed. Haven’t damaged it with the snow rake yet! Like you (unless I win the lottery) I’d like to make it permanent
Watch for sales on those Fabrel steel roofing panels, on ocassion they offer some really good buys. I often bought seconds or factory rejects for 33% off, paint runs or off colors or dents in them, who can see the roof top anyway?? I am quite sure the planes flying over could care less if my roof panels are off color or have paint runs !

As for using telephone poles, I wouldn't do it. They are rough, hard, tough to cut, and you need a big a$$ hole to sink them into. Before I'd go this route, I'd use straight sections of tree trunk 4-6" around or just spring for some 4x4s. Properly installed a 4x4 will last just about forever and provide more than adequate support for most any roof.

Watch for sales on those Fabrel steel roofing panels, on ocassion they offer some really good buys. I often bought seconds or factory rejects for 33% off, paint runs or off colors or dents in them, who can see the roof top anyway?? I am quite sure the planes flying over could care less if my roof panels are off color or have paint runs !
I was fortunate enough to have purchased a TON of corrugated roofing panels a while back. Paneled 3 large roofs and still have about 20 10’ left! 👍

I got two of the boat cover support poles from Walmart. I place them in the boat and tie them in place so it is a tent structure with a rope acting as the ridge of the “roof” and tie lines to the side for support. Only takes a few minutes and keeps all water from pooling on my cover.

This. A couple tall enough "tent poles" for and aft with lines running between them and from them to each corner of the boat. Once set up, it is very easy to put up or take down. I used something very similar for my boat cover to prevent water pooling.

I lay a 2x4x16 across the bow seat to the top of the engine as a ridge, then use a silver tarp tied off to the trailer in several places. It's strong, waterproof, and snow usually slides off of it.

I lay a moving blanket across the console or other areas that could cut or damage the tarp, and they last for 2 or 3 seasons, usually, unless a tree branch falls and punctures them. IF so, duct tape on both sides can do a temp fix.

I like the 10x20 carports, too, but they get destroyed by snow, and I'm tired or replacing them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean what the heck? Got the framing done all we need is the covering! As said, just got to do some searching to get a bundle of corrugated for discounted price & then go to work throwin them on, depending on if want one end closed or not a heavy duty draw curtain w/ lock sets be good to go!

Thanks for all the help. I incorporated several of you guys' ideas. Think all is good now. *crosses fingers*

Attachments

• Boat Cover Final 13.jpg
    Boat Cover Final 13.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cover Final 14.jpg
    Boat Cover Final 14.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cover Final 03.jpg
    Boat Cover Final 03.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cover Final 05.jpg
    Boat Cover Final 05.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cover Final 10.jpg
    Boat Cover Final 10.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
Time will tell......
And it has! The boat must be slightly off level as I'm getting some pooling on the starboard front. Can't say I'm that surprised. Since I got nice sturdy railing around the front I want to make some PVC bows terminating in Ts which I'll partially cut and hopefully they'll snap into place on the railing. My question for you boat gurus is will 1/2" be best or should I go with 3/4?" I know 1/2" will bend how I want it, but 3/4" might be the better choice. Think all I need to do is bow it enough to get it above the rails which should eliminate the pocket. Other than that she's holding up well. 3 snows since I put it on and it just falls away.

No thoughts on what size PVC would work best? Would 1/2 and 3/4 maybe both be too weak for what I want to do? I got to do something. I peeled an ice frisbee off her today that was about 3' around and an inch thick. Not good.

If you can bend it enough, then I would go with the 3/4". I admit, I don't have to deal with snow, so can't offer much in the way of helpful suggestions. If I understand, you want to raise the tarp up front to prevent ponding. Instead of PVC bows, could you put a small upside down plastic trash can or something to tent it up?

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the tri-hull come spring!

No thoughts on what size PVC would work best? Would 1/2 and 3/4 maybe both be too weak for what I want to do? I got to do something. I peeled an ice frisbee off her today that was about 3' around and an inch thick. Not good.

PVC size? Bigger is better.

just a thought, but EMT is very strong for it's size and weight - 3/4 inch is still easy enough to bend and not incredibly heavy. I like it a LOT better than PVC because it's not afraid of UV light and doesn't get brittle in a few years. There's some maker kids calling it maker pipe and selling fittings to do all kinds of things with it. makerpipe.com I think - youtube has a lot of content on the channel makerpipe. They've done some interesting things with it and some pricey fittings.

I sort of went down that rabbit hole, but chose to make birdmouths and brazing instead of expensive fittings. I used 30% vinegar to strip the galvanizing and mapp gas torch to sweat bird mouth fittings. In typical half-*** (my default setting) fashion, I found another project before I finished the hoops for the boat cover, but that stuff is very interesting. I may get around to finishing it before winter sets in hard this year. 99.00 110v Fluxcore welders also don't care about galvanized coatings from what I've been told, but I haven't tried that. Too afraid of welder's hangover from fumes I think.

Latest posts