• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The Dream is Over!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
After a not very careful examination of my life, I've realized I have too many projects and have to let go of some of them. Although it pains me, it's time for the longest project in history to be passed on to another, more worthy builder than me. I'm selling Speedy the speedboat.

Oh those many years ago I took on the project to restore a 1960-something aluminum runabout to some semblance of its former glory. I knew I would not be able to keep it when I took the project on and had planned to give it to my partner's dad. No deal and in fact, without going into the whole thing, it's an anti-deal. No one in my family is interested, even if finished, even for free. So time for a reality check. I will never get out of it anything like I'd need to put into it at this point and as it's not staying in the family, it's gotta go.

I have done all the grunt work - the really ugly stuff is done. It's stripped, it's got a new transom, floor with floatation and it's at a point now where the fun work can begin. It's pretty much ready to make it into whatever you would want. The trailer needs a few things but I think it's mostly done at this point. The motor needs a mechanic or someone to get it back in running condition. I've got some parts for the rebuild, impeller, head gasket, carb rebuild kit and ignition kit.

To date I've got something over $800 in the whole project. Most of the money in the boat went into materials to strip and clean it with some money into the transom, floatation and floor. The trailer has new tires with less than 1500 miles on them and new lights. I stripped it down to bare metal, primed and painted it. I put new bunk brackets on it and new rollers. The bunks need permanent carpet covers. The wheels work but are ugly but for about $70 for a pair of wheels plus installation of the tires the trailer would be practically new. I've got about $150 in the motor including the new parts. I began to tear it down with the intention of stripping it and repainting to look original. The cylinders look good and the motor in the right hands surely can be made to run again.

Here are links to the boat project and motor project.

Boat
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14501

Motor
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34349&hilit=rebuilding+40hp

I don't think there are too many tinboaters in my region but I thought I'd give you all first crack at it. I'd be willing to drive it 200 or so miles if any member buys it. I'd like to see $600 for the whole deal but will consider reasonable offers. I have not registered it yet in MN but can provide a bill of sale. If necessary I can register it but it would take several weeks for the registration card to come back from the state. I believe in MN it can be registered on a bill of sale.

Oh Wow Bobber! This was one of the very first threads I looked at before I became a member. You inspired me! Can't believe you are going to sell her, and at such a low price. What a blessing to a new owner. :D

If I only lived a bit closer. :wink:

I wish you the very best of luck in selling her to a new owner that will finish her and be humble to the fact that the Lord has His hand in this one. Literally, my friend. [-o<

Thank you for sharing her.
M
Tyler, Texas

Holy Cow BobberBoy!! Selfishly I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing it in it's finished glory. Whoever snags it up will be damned lucky. You have always been an asset to this forum. I thank you for all I have learned so far. If I lived back there, I would take a crack at it. Hopefully a member will get it and continue to show us the build.

borntofish said:
Holy Cow BobberBoy!! Selfishly I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing it in it's finished glory. Whoever snags it up will be damned lucky. You have always been an asset to this forum. I thank you for all I have learned so far. If I lived back there, I would take a crack at it. Hopefully a member will get it and continue to show us the build.

I know, I really wanted to see this thing through. Trouble is that at a certain point you have so many projects you can't point at a single one and get it done. I always knew I couldn't keep the boat. I was going to give it back to my partner's dad who gave it to me in the first place but for reasons that I needn't explain to anyone on this site, the boat was not going back from whence it came! I took it on as a project. No one in my family wants it - finished and free. I decided if no family wanted it there was no point in pouring more money into finishing it and take an even bigger loss when it eventually has to be sold. It's at a point right now where all the crappy work is done and some good clean fun work could follow. And, as I haven't configured the inside it's a blank slate that someone could use their own ideas to finish it up. I would like very much to see someone on tinboats get it and maybe that person would pick up the thread where I left off. I would be willing to drive it a couple of hundred miles for a member but it would probably take a relay team in the end.

I feel a little bit defeated but on the year anniversary of my retirement I have made several good decisions to simplify my life and this is one of them. It's hard to let things go sometimes but it can also be liberating. Last summer I spent about 90% of my fooling around time on the boat and about 10% fishing. I hope to reverse that percentage this year. It's almost June 1st and I've not been fishing yet. Time for old guys to get with the program.

I think I am a chump. Maybe I should have seen this coming. I separated the motor from the boat so I could lower the price. I can't sell the boat and trailer for $450! Maybe people in my area aren't very ambitious. Maybe they're too rich and want to spend more money in something finished. I'm trying to figure the psychology of the deal, if there is one. Maybe my price is too low and people think it's a POS. Sometimes perceived value is different than actual value. I don't know what to do at this point. I can pour more money into it and hope to sell later as a finished boat. I could sell the boat for the scrap value and sell the trailer by itself. Don't know how to move this thing. Anybody got any ideas?

Well, forever more. :( I was so in hopes you had sold her. I'm sorry you are having to deal with such. I wonder if perhaps wording in the listing might help. :?:

When I listed our barge for sale on CL, I was careful at the wording. I received numerous emails and text messages, and the first person that looked at her bought her.

I worded it something on the lines of;

I'd like to get $3500, but I'll take $3300. The wife says she'll take $3000 for her, to the first person with the cash.

Every one of the replies received stated they wanted to talk to The Wife! :LOL2: And, they already knew the price was $3000 so they didn't try to haggle.

I think that boat would make a wonderful "Father-Son" project.
Get creative. :idea:

I saw an ad on CL awhile back that read:
Buy This Old Boat-Save A Marriage
Please buy this old boat before my wife files for divorce! I have way too many projects and she says clean the yard. I need $500, but she says she'll take $400 if it's sold by Saturday afternoon.
Her name is Karen and her number is.......

Cleaver! Boat was sold in one day! :mrgreen:

Hang in there!
M

I sold the motor yesterday. Now that I know I won't be finishing the boat I want it gone so I can move on to other projects. I don't want to give it away but am willing to consider any offer remotely reasonable. Selling it to a member of this forum would make taking a much reduced price easier to swallow because it would stay within the tinboats community and the new owner hopefully would pick up the build thread where I left off. I think the trailer is probably worth somewhere around $250-$350 depending on the market at any given time. The boat surely must be worth a couple of hundred as it stands. If I could get around $400-$450 for the boat and trailer I'd be happy and someone would get a project worth continuing. I'd still be willing to haul it a little ways if that was necessary to seal the deal.

bobberboy said:
I sold the motor yesterday. Now that I know I won't be finishing the boat I want it gone so I can move on to other projects. I don't want to give it away but am willing to consider any offer remotely reasonable. Selling it to a member of this forum would make taking a much reduced price easier to swallow because it would stay within the tinboats community and the new owner hopefully would pick up the build thread where I left off. I think the trailer is probably worth somewhere around $250-$350 depending on the market at any given time. The boat surely must be worth a couple of hundred as it stands. If I could get around $400-$450 for the boat and trailer I'd be happy and someone would get a project worth continuing. I'd still be willing to haul it a little ways if that was necessary to seal the deal.

Bitter sweet for sure. Hope this goes as painlessly as possible.