Thinking of going electric

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Dimas

Reaction score
I have a 14' aluminum Gregor boat that I use for fishing in the eastern Sierras. Most of my fishing is trolling. Right now I use a 15hp Evinrude but I'm thinking of going to just an electric trolling motor. I have a 34# thrust Minnkota which works fine but i'm not sure it would be good as my only motor. I was thinking that maybe a 55# thrust motor would do the trick. I troll 6-8 hours and could recharge the battery at nite. Sometimes the lakes get windy and a little rough so I want enough power. I fish with one other person in the boat, so not a lot of weight. What do you guys think?

I would either:
1 -- give the 15hp to me
2 -- keep it in the boat as a back up so you can get outta trouble fast if need be.

Think hard about option 1. :)

It sounds like you have a good setup now.I would keep things the way they are.You might need the 15 hp. for when the lake gets rough.

Yep, I agree with the others, having a gas for when trouble happens is kinda key. If someone in your party has a medical issue, you want to be able to get back to the launch fast. But FWIW, I use my 50lb Minn Kota Powerdrive on my 14' Starcraft at least 5 times to 1 with the 25hp gas motor. But if I'm out and I hear lightning? See ya, I'm full throttle back to the launch.

Latest posts