Thru the hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipper123

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to epoxy a transducer to the bottom of a aluminum flat bottom to get them to work at high speed. As in shooting thru the hull.

I don't think a thru-hull will work on anything but fiberglass.

I think there might be a hole-in-the-boat option from Airmar, but I'm not a fan of putting big holes in the bottom of the boat. :D

I had a cheap eagle fishfinder transducer epoxied in the middle of my 14ft jet boat and it worked good for depth, but not so good after under 1ft of water, after awhile it fell off the hull, but it still worked as my rivited hull had a small leak as it was sitting in a puddle of water.
try putting your transducer in a ziplock bag filled with water and see if works , place it on a flat surface on the hull. i now have a small damed up reservoir where my ducer was epoxied that i fill with cup of water. it just sits in there freely

Before I mounted mine I had it in the back of boat under a bag of sand, put water in the back until it was covered...worked for depth, but that is about it.

I did not want to drill into my boat so I used the Stern Saver, https://www.sternsaver.com/
I can move or change the transducer without having to drill new holes.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330973#p330973 said:
BobbyR » Yesterday, 16:40[/url]"]I know it works for plastic kayaks but not sure if it will work thru aluminum.
you can shoot thru aluminum. you can shoot thru anything really as long as theres no air between the transducer and hull- no bubbles, no spaces, no nothing. thats why people epoxy them to the hull.

It will work just fine. Use a puck style x-ducer and installation will be much easier. Make sure the surface you epoxy it to is clean, bare aluminum and smooth and no air bubbles in the epoxy.

Latest posts