Tilt trim cleaning

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Two Tracks

Reaction score
I just checked the oil level in my tilt trim on my 86 Tracker 17 and the oil looks more like milk than oil. The back of the boat did get flooded this summer and water went down through the vent of the tilt trim. I suppose I will have to take the hoses off and cylinders and clean them up? I haven't run into this before. Any suggestions on getting that contaminated oil out? #-o

You are asking a question on an engine yet you only gave us the type of boat you own. There is no vent on a tilt/trim system (on an outboard) unless you have the old style trim system mounted inside the boat . If it is an integral system (totally on the engine)The "vent" is at the top of a sealed reservoir and is just a dome of air that allows for the changing fluid level, usually opposite the trim motor. Fluid is checked with the engine up and locked. If you have water in the oil you have a leak - period! Leaks are usually found at the seals on the ram end caps and parts are available.
To answer your question if you have the old style: Yes you can remove lines and run most of the oil out, replacing with new. You will have to do this more than one time to get the oil out of the ram or rams. More information on your post/question would be desirable.

You are correct Pappy. I have a Classic 50 (45) on my boat with the tilt trim on the inside. It is an 86 model. Thanks for your answer. I will run some oil through it. I just need to find out which line is the return. I am thinking of taking the return line off where it goes into the reservoir. Oil may leak out of the reservoir though............... guess I'll find out.