Too much weight?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobd08

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am interested in increasing from a 6 gallon to a 12 gallon fuel tank and adding a 2nd battery to my 17' Alweld boat with pontoons. However, I am not sure if this will be too much weight in the back. Any suggestions on how to decide if this is a bad decision without finding out the hard way. I have a 50 horse Johnson on the back. Thanks for your help.

I could put a battery under the side console, but that would only move it up a few feet. Maybe that is all I need. This may not be a problem at all, but if I did increase to a 12 gallon fuel tank and add a battery it would increase the weight by about 100 pounds. Seems like a lot.

Not what you asked, but I find having two 6-gallon tanks to be way more versatile. Can more easily move the spare or empty one around to adjust trim/balance, plus remove from the boat for filling as needed.

Dale, that is a great point and one I didn't consider. It would save me some money too.

I have a 12 gal "portable" tank. It is too heavy for me to move around easily so it is essentially a permanent tank that I fill from inside the boat using a 5 gallon gaso can. Additionally, in the previous boat with a smaller tank, I was pretty confident that I was cycling the gaso routinely. Of course it takes longer for me to go though 12 gallons so the gaso sits longer. Using two 6 gallon tanks has some nice benefits, IMO.

I have an 18' Gregor walkthrough. Weighs 750# (dry hull). Has a 50 HP four stroke outboard which comes in at 215#. I use the 12 gallon tank and one battery in the stern. Have a second group 31 TM battery under the walkthrough step which is about 3/4 of the way forward. Seems to work OK.

Yes the more I think about a 12 gallon tank the more issues I can come up with. I like the idea of 2 smaller tanks. Also, I will play around with battery placement. Maybe it’s just being a new boat owner, but the idea of one battery scares me. Running lights throughout the night while fishing, then hoping there is enough juice to start the engine seems like a risk. Thanks for the feedback.

Back in the good old days when I used to be out all night fishing my anchor light was a pump up Coleman lantern mounted up in the air on a boat hook. Now days I would probably get a battery operated LED lantern and use that instead of the starter battery.

LDUBS, good point! I could get by without the fancy stuff and wouldn't have to worry about battery life.

Latest posts