torn between which motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I got a great deal on an open hull 1648 grizzly boat only used a handful of times and bought at the local bass pro shops here in florida. It doesnt even have a roller mark from the trailer roller on the hull! The boat has not one scratch and has the factory paint.

Anyway the boat did not come with an outboard which is fine.

I have a chance to get a 40 hp tiller and also a 50 hp control. I know the boat is rated at 50 hp max. Now my question is which one should I go with and will it make much difference? I live in central florida and don't fish salt water with this boat( i have a 30" robalo I fish with for salt). It will be used on lakes with no hp limit and rivers and marsh.

I do like to get where im going in good time and don't really like to wait if I have to but I don't want to be un safe either.

What do you guys think? 40 or 50?

Thanks

F2k

Really thinking about going with this 50 horse just not sure what speeds im going to be looking at with a 1648 grizzly

Somebody should chime in that has a boat your size.

I would go with the 50hp also.You never can have too much horse power.

Well the boat is set up for tiller right now it's comepletely open hull but I can only find a 40 hp tiller and I don't know of this is going to be enough so I thought about just puttig a small console in it and running the 50 hp.

What kind of speeds are we looking at?

I don't think there will much difference in the speeds.
+ - 35 mph...?
I think there question is weither you want a console/controls or a tiller.
I like a tiller but thats an opinion.
I've had a 40hp on my 16',I'm aliitle wider at 52" and have a tunnel so that would make me slower.
I GPS ed at 32mph.

I have always used tillers besides my off shore boat but I wouldnt mind having a console either. I usually use the boat in the rivers and marsh and there is some times where ill be riding for while so a console might be more of a benefit in that aspect.

Here is a pic of my Grandfather's 16' Grumman Mod-V with a 50HP side console Johnson.

With 3 guys, a kicker motor, 3 batteries, waterlogged floors, fishing gear, and lunch .... it still moved pretty well.

Get the 50!!!

100-0067_IMG.JPG

Speeds wont be much different.. extra 5 mph max with the 50 horse.

Some guys are die hard tiller fans, others like the console set up. I'm a console guy, but I saw a 40,000 dollar ranger last summer with a massive tiller on it. To each their own.

I have had a couple tillers, 2 side consoles and, 1 center Console. None of them over 16ft boats. I will take a console any day over a tiller.

If the boat is 1548 or bigger I would take a Center Console hands down!

The Tiller guys always talk about more room????? Fishing is done from the front and rear decks. I don't understand what you wanna do in the center of the boat that you need that much room???

If a tiller was that great it would b an option on bass boats and offshore boats too.

reedjj said:
I have had a couple tillers, 2 side consoles and, 1 center Console. None of them over 16ft boats. I will take a console any day over a tiller.

If the boat is 1548 or bigger I would take a Center Console hands down!

The Tiller guys always talk about more room????? Fishing is done from the front and rear decks. I don't understand what you wanna do in the center of the boat that you need that much room??? In an Aluminum boat a small side console doesn't take up any more room than your knees do sitting on the rear bench.

If a tiller was that great it would b an option on bass boats and offshore boats too.

dyeguy1212 said:
Speeds wont be much different.. extra 5 mph max with the 50 horse.

Some guys are die hard tiller fans, others like the console set up. I'm a console guy, but I saw a 40,000 dollar ranger last summer with a massive tiller on it. To each their own.

factory rigged I would agree with you on the 5 mph max speed difference...BUT that 50 will turn a bigger prop than the 40 will, if you want to add an aftermarket prop you might get another 10mph. Or with a lower pitch prop it will pop you up on plane quicker and keep you there at a lower RPM than the 40 will.

If its rated for 50hp go with the 50hp!

I would love to see that ranger!

I sure would love to see that ranger too!

Im not sure if yall have seen it but on Swamp People, Jr edwards has a 115 hp yamaha tiller! That thing is an animal! Ive seen some bigger 90s and one 115 tillers in alaska and over seas in the pacific but not many that big here in the south.

I like the tillers when running in timber so I can turn it fast but when running for a distance I always hated having to be at that weird angle with the tiller handle

Im looking for a console to be built this week for the console

I'll go with the 50 hp then.

I think i may try to find a good prop to run so i can get a little more power out of this animal and maybe even a jack plate

reedjj,

Why is it that you would go with a center on anything bigger than a 1548? Just curious Ive always thought and heard centers tuck up alot of space

Same motor diffrent carbs. You can buy the 40hp and put 50hp carbs and have the same motor as the 50hp. I put 50hp carbs on 40hp and it gained me a 1mph and it puls a load alot better. Timing might be diffrent but everything else is the same. You might gain more since it's a prop motor, mines a outboard jet.

I saw the 40 hp tiller today its in great shape! It doesnt have electric start or trim and tilt but on a boat this big Im not really in the need for it unless it comes with it.

Im really not sure! Its to bad I could ride in both. I cant even find videos of the boat with either motor. I saw a 1754 with a 40 hp and it ran 30 mph. I should get alittle more mph from my 1648 and since its an open hull theres just the bow thats aluminum, no other decking.

Ive read from several people on another site that anything over 35 mph on this size boat tends to get a little swirly, can anyone votch for this?

The 40hp is a great deal since its a 1990 johnson 40 hp tiller and never run in salt and he only wants 750 for it. Seems to be a good deal to me even pulled it and it started on the first pull!

It wouldnt require me to go get a console built either. What do you guys think will I actually be able to tell with the 50 hp or just go with this 40hp and keep it open hull.

I fish alone mostly with only a few rods or some hanging lines and a cooler thats all.

Thanks guys sorry for being redundent on the questions just really torn

By the way here is the boat im working with so maybe it will help yall make the decision

Thanks

F2k

Attachments

• grizzly2.jpg
    grizzly2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 300
  • grizzly3.jpg
    grizzly3.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 300

Latest posts