Towing Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will45

Reaction score
Hi guys got a ? if someone could help me out here.
Im looking at getting a 1542 or 1436 with a trailor and just using a trolling motor for now on the boat.
My ? is would a 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive chevy s-10 be able to pull this boat out of the water.I know the Jon Boat doesn't way that much and I wouldn't have a motor on it just a trolling motor.
What do you guys think.
Thanks Will

I drive a 4 clyd. 5 speed stick Nissan 2wd. Because of the clutch and coordination I avoid steep ramps. As far a towing goes it is a smooth ride with a 14/48. I feel sure the truck could pull the steep ramp; it is the rolling backwards that scares me. With an auto tranny I would do it.

will45 said:
Hi guys got a ? if someone could help me out here.
Im looking at getting a 1542 or 1436 with a trailor and just using a trolling motor for now on the boat.
My ? is would a 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive chevy s-10 be able to pull this boat out of the water.I know the Jon Boat doesn't way that much and I wouldn't have a motor on it just a trolling motor.
What do you guys think. Thanks Will
Colbyt said:
I drive a 4 clyd. 5 speed stick Nissan 2wd. Because of the clutch and coordination I avoid steep ramps. As far a towing goes it is a smooth ride with a 14/48. I feel sure the truck could pull the steep ramp; it is the rolling backwards that scares me. With an auto tranny I would do it.
I don't think you will have a problem either. The trick to pulling out of a steep ramp is to use the emergency brake to hold the truck/trailer while you engage the clutch just enough hear the engine
load up. Release the hand brake and add a little gas, it should go right up the ramp. If you stall,
just pull the emergency brake on and try it again. Takes a little practice, but it works great for me.
Hope this helps, jerry :)

I pull my 12' aluminum boat and trailer around my yard (very hilly) with my 12hp lawn tractor. Your truck should have no problem.

The load will be well within what the truck can handle. The only potential problem you may have is on steep ramps. A wet steep ramp can be slippery in some situations and a problem to pull a boat out with 2wd as it will spin like it's on ice on some ramps. Look at some of the boat ramp follies posted on youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Colbyt said:

Use your ebrake or use the start in gear function.

LOL . . . I pulled and launched a 1462 Lowe for 10 years with a 1995 Saturn SL2 5-spd, then finally traded up to a Jeep Patriot 5-spd stick . . . the best thing about the Patriot is the "Hill-assist" when launching a boat . . . no longer do you need to feather the clutch or use the e-brake . . . it senses the tilt of the vehicle and automatically briefly engages the brakes until you release the clutch.

Had 3 4c std nissan toyota and ford currior..Pulled 13f whaler andor 16 polar craft alu Never a problem except coming out of steep wet ramp .Traction was a problem but get a couple fat boys to stand on rear bumper and it would come right out.power was never an issue except at 70 + cva34 Pulled my whaler 16'7 with nissan some but Stopping was the biggest problem.. remember its flat country here

I've use a riding mower to back my 14 footer down the ramp and pulled it back out too at the end of the day. Loaded with trolling motor, outboard, tackle, poles, ice chest and all.

Latest posts