Tracker 1542 with a 15 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott06z71

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at new boats and found the Tracker 1542 with 15 hp Merc 4 stroke new at BPS with trailer for about $4,500. That fits my budget ( I know most will say save and go bigger) but I want to buy now and it fits my budget. My question is how well will the 15 hp push this boat? I'm around 260 ibs and will have a couple kids with me mostly. The only mods I plan on doing is plywood floor and maybe small deck on front with carpet.

The 15hp will push you along ok. The boat weighs less than 200lbs so as long as you dont go crazy with decking and dont expect to do 30mph you will be fine.

I have that same boat with a 9.9 Merc 4 stroke and with 500 lbs. of fisherman and gear the boat will plane ok. 15 hp should be plenty.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going next to Bass Pro and will hopefully be buying this rig. It will be a nice upgrade from my 14x36 with a dead 9.9 hp. I'm ready for a new reliable motor. I'm a big guy 260 lb. so don't think I will be adding a casting deck. I'm thinking of a short deck up front so I will have a place for trolling battery and a little storage and floor and carpet. There are so many ideas on this website, I can't wait to get started.

I have the same boat with a 9.9 Merc and love it! A 15hp would just make it better, but I fish a number of lakes with a 9.9hp limit. Congrats!

I have a 1544 with a 15 on it and I too am 260lbs mine does fine with me and my wife. I did the same mods you are talking about but I did mine with aluminum less weight no rotten wood later on

I should be getting things wrapped up in the next few days, I can't wait. So I'm already thinking of things to do, I'm going to put down wood floor and carpet and just add seats and trolling motor for now. I'm going to fish out of it several times before I do more than that. I was wondering how you guys have your seating arranged for when your running. I will be at the back right driving and probably have wife on front bench left to balance load. I don't know if there is room or if it would plane if she sat on rear bench with me. I'm going to put 2 seats in floor between the two benches for my kids they are small. Also I think I'm going with a 20 hp motor instead of the 15.

Was at BP today. Did they change how the ribs are on the 2014 models? I noticed the ribs run up the sides now. I think that will be a big plus for the boat. I am thinking about this hull and that was a big downfall for getting it as I thought they did not have the ribs up the sides. I guess they do now.

I believe they ran up the 2013's too. But yeah they started running the ribs up the sides of the hull.

Big ribs are a bonus, I run an old style1542 with short ribs on small water with no problems. Buy the darn thing, and post some pics of your mods!

I'm loving my new boat. The 20 hp really pushes it great. I ave only done the basics, mount seats, trolling motor and depth finder up front. I will upload some pictures tonight when I'm on the computer. I can't them to post from my iPad for some reason.

Latest posts