Transom Saver?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoneFishin34

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the scene and have a question about transom savers.. So, I just bought my first boat - 14 ft Starcraft Seafarer with an older outboard (1958 johnson 18hp). Is it a good idea for me to have a transom saver for my boat? Or does it matter? Maybe my outboard and boat are small enough to where I shouldn't worry? Appreciate any thoughts/feedback.

Thanks,
Chris

Some with say yes, other no. Your transom should be plenty solid to support your motor or it would rip off while using it on the water. However if it is weak, a transom saver may keep it from wearing out any quicker.

Only reason I purchaed one was because I didn't want the motor flopping back and forth. If you get one, don't get one with a solid rubber piece. I made that mistake and my motor still flopped around.

I use one on my 1448 with a 20 on the back. and yes the rubber one piece one will let the motor flop. mine is a remote steer which keeps it from flopping too much.

Thanks for the input, guys. I've noticed a lot of other boaters at my local lakes use them. My boat is pretty old so it's obviously stood the test of time...but I want to make sure it continues to do so! I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on one.

Thanks again!

I have a 14 foot starcraft as well with a 20hp mercury. My opinion is you only need it if you dont have the ground clearance to run it locked down. If you tilt it up or have power tilt system you will need to support the motor so the motor does not bounce around on the transom. Every one has a different opinion.

Here is the one I purchased most recently that is awesome.

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_13155_-1__?N=547047759&affcode=42&kwid=ps_cse&cid=PLA_001026863&gclid=CM_EsunO5r4CFSJo7AodoAIAGw

Whatever you do, don't get one like this. I did and the motor still flopped around.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=30723656&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:30723656:17742680:TACKLE&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120138600000291517&catargetid=120138600000330066&cadevice=c

You can make one out of a section of PVC pipe and a couple of "T" fittings cut down. Use a tie down strap to secure to the trailer. I use this on a 16FT w/20 HP Johnson, works great! Dave

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=354902#p354902 said:
Kier » 06 Jun 2014, 11:57[/url]"]I have a 14 foot starcraft as well with a 20hp mercury. My opinion is you only need it if you dont have the ground clearance to run it locked down. If you tilt it up or have power tilt system you will need to support the motor so the motor does not bounce around on the transom. Every one has a different opinion.
nailed it

can you trailer the boat with the motor down? if so you don't need a transom saver, just use a bungee cord on the tiller to keep the motor from flopping back and forth. the transom is designed to be able to take the weight of the motor being pulled straight down by gravity.

if you tilt the motor up to trailer, then yeah, get a transom saver. that's what hurts transoms, the twisting motion that comes from the outboard bouncing around while tilted up.

can you trailer the boat with the motor down? if so you don't need a transom saver, just use a bungee cord on the tiller to keep the motor from flopping back and forth. the transom is designed to be able to take the weight of the motor being pulled straight down by gravity.

[/quote]

My experience is that yes, get a transom saver.

When I purchased my 16' Westcoaster w/ 25hp 4 stroke the prior owner did not have a transom saver, he hauled it with the motor down and no transom saver. ( He would bungee the motor to keep it from swinging back and forth.)
So I never worried about it. The thing is come to find out he didn't use the boat very much, I used it on most weekends.

Fast fwd about 1 year & I started to have problems with cracking around the transom brace & floor area. ( a whole other story that I'd like to forget!) In my opinion the big old 4 stroke hanging on the back without support while trailering was the culprit. I have one now & so far so good.

I tow with my motor straight up and down,bungeed to the side.
Currently 30hp,,,had a 40hp for 3 years,both 2 strokes.
The way I see it is...
Trailer has tires and springs, with good bunks that extend past the transom.
The boat is strapped to the trailer so it doesn't bounce and the transom is made to support the weight of the motor...in or out of water.
Not saying use one or not...just saying

Yeah I don't plug into the theory that a transom saver saves your transom from damage from the motor while traveling. I'm sure there is more torque put on a transom from the motor running. I simply use one to keep the motor straight while traveling so that it doesn't flop around. I thought of using the bungy cord trick though.

I use a transom saver. They are relatively inexpensive, so why not use one? The force on the transom when running is pretty much a constant pressure. When hauling, it is a back and forth bouncing motion that can fatigue the metal. Just my opinion.

Latest posts