Trolling Motor Electrical Connections

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Preparing for the electrical portion of my new TM install. I purchased the Minn Kota TM plug (MKR-28). It is a very nice, well-built plug. It uses aluminum screw terminal splicers for connecting wires from.... TM wires to plug and from plug to battery/breaker. Below is an example of the screw terminal...

1703945497815.png

I believe they use these splicers to handle differing wire sizes between TM wires and wiring to plug/battery. I would assume they include them in the TM plug install kit, since most people do not have a hydraulic wire crimper.

Since I do have a hydraulic crimper, and will be using it for the battery wire lugs, I was considering using aluminum step down butt splices (8AWG to 10AWG) instead of the screw terminal blocks.

1703945765824.png

The MK TM Plug:

Minn Kota MKR-28

My application:

MK Terrova 24V/80/60 came equipped with 10AWG
MK Plug wires are 8AWG

The last time I used an aluminum splicer screw terminal was when I wired my workshop and needed to tap into existing wire in an outlet (AC wiring). It worked great in that application. Not so sure about these screw blocks on boats.

Anyone use this MK plug and / or these screw terminal blocks? How have they worked out?

Thanks

Mine was installed by BPro service center back in 2013 but my connections are brass colored. Plated or not, I am not sure...but have had no issues !! Only issue I had was loose battery terminals...but no connector issues.

Nothing I can really add. There's a lot of ways to skin that cat and everything that's been said is a fine option.

I would prefer the crimp style butt connectors like you listed over the screw type (since you have a good crimper) but either will do the job just fine.

Keep it simple. Mine has eye terminals which I hold in place with wingnuts. Yeah I know, some say it's dangerous, but I don't think so. Not if you're SURE it's good and tight. When in doubt use pliers to snug em up. That's it. Not really anything that can go wrong with a setup like this. The Nervous Nellies among us might want to add checking the connections to your pre-launch list. Or am I the only one with a list? I got like 20 things I check and then double check.....and still I sometimes manage to forget my bait and my PFD. Doh!

I have used both terminal types, and they both work well, as long as you crimp properly.

Insulate them however you like, as others have mentioned above. Heat shrink is preferred, but 15 wraps of electrical tape will work, too.

I used crimp connections and cover with shrink tubing long enough to provide sufficient protection. Same on the trailer LED re-wire including individual ground wires for each lamp.

Thanks for input.

This is the plan:

This is the Minn Kota TM Plug Kit I am using.
Minn-Kota MKR-28

I decided on the butt crimp connections. I will crimp with my hydraulic crimper.
I will use step down butt crimps from TM cables (10AWG) to MK Plug (8AWG).
From MK Receptacle (8AWG) to batt/breaker I will use 6AWG Ancor duplex. I will use step down crimps here as well.

When I mounted my new TM last year, I wanted an easy connect/disconnect feature for mounting/unmounting of the motor. I used one of these: OMT Wire Connector

This is what they look like:

I used Anderson connectors on my TM, which are similar in design. Used Marinco plugs/recepticles on the DRs. Neither is as nice looking as the MK plugs @Tin Man is using, but but no splicing required.

Last edited: