Two questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wampuscat

Reaction score
First thanks for reading.

I have a 16.5 56 wide 1979 polarcraft. I hate the way the transom dips down in the middle. The 50hp Johnson rides too low and I am weighing two options. Option 1 have a piece of aluminum built that mimics and bolts over the existing transom to raise it up 3-5 inches. OR option 2 buy a jack plate and deal with it? Opinions on jack plates welcome.

Second question.

Steering is stiff, it's a fairly new cable. Seems like its a pinch maybe?? Any insight on steering cables appreciated.

Thanks all

jvanhees said:
The peice of aluminum over the existing is probably what I would do..and would look nice.
That's how I'm leaning. Got a welding school nearby that only charges cost of material. It's trouble I tell ya. Endless projects.

Are you sure your stiffness is in the cable? Have you tried disconnecting the cable to make sure the motor pivots easy? The stiffness could also be in the steering mechanism.

JMichael said:
Are you sure your stiffness is in the cable? Have you tried disconnecting the cable to make sure the motor pivots easy? The stiffness could also be in the steering mechanism.
Thats a good idea. Dont know why i didnt try that. will report back.

dejamat said:
I would probably go with adding to the transom. Keep in mind that It means going to a long shaft motor!

I think i will be okay. i am on the second to top notch on the transom now and need to go higher.

I am terrible at posting pictures, but i love to see the ones on here. I will make an effort to post some before/after shots. this is my second build.

I would probably go withe the piece of aluminum. Jackplates are too darn expensive.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Have the school build you what you need.
Where's this school at?

Louisville KY. I stumbled into it. They welded up some seams, built a trolling motor mount and a rod locker with two doors piano hinged. I gotta get some pics up.

where does your cavitation plate on your motor sit in relation to your hull? you want the plate level with the hull, sometimes it can be an inch or so above the level of the hull depending on your boat/motor set up. if you have a long shaft(20 inches) that dip in the top of ur transom is usually there for the boat to have a short shaft(15 inches) motor on it. if i were you id see if them students would fabricate ya a jack plate and weld it together then weld it on the transom. if they just make a peice to fill in the dip in the transom i would have them weld a peice of angle from the top of the transom to about a foot or so down the original transom on both sides of the motor on the outside so you have something to give you added support to the peice they weld on... if you were close to omaha id help ya out, i love to weld.....

Okay i finaly got some pictures uploaded! notice the bend in the steering cable under the steering box? think that is why the steering is stiff? New steering box coming btw.

The boat is at the shop now, getting new drivers seat. The platform on the bow i am having the lip removed into the boat, and adding a door to the area under it.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 447
Wampuscat said:
Okay i finaly got some pictures uploaded! notice the bend in the steering cable under the steering box? think that is why the steering is stiff? New steering box coming btw.

The boat is at the shop now, getting new drivers seat. The platform on the bow i am having the lip removed into the boat, and adding a door to the area under it.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 447
Transom picture. ignore the lawn chairs in the boat! i was droping them off to be sandblasted.

Since the boat is riveted, i am having them weld up the bottom of the boat on the inside all the way across. there are some small leaks. My guys at the school built the rod locker you can see in the other picture on the left side. i am having the drivers seat built to match.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 447
left side transom. I am planning on having a plate built all the way across basically leveling her rear end. thoughts?

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 145
Wampuscat said:
JMichael said:
Thats a good idea. Dont know why i didnt try that. will report back.

I have tried everything, unhooked the cable from the motor. pulled it off the motor so to make it straight. took the bends out of the cable. its somewhat better on the trailer, then i drop it in the water and get up to speed it stiffens up again??

if i order a new cable can i get it custom lenght? like to exact specifications or do they just come in certain lenght?

I have tried everything, unhooked the cable from the motor. pulled it off the motor so to make it straight. took the bends out of the cable. its somewhat better on the trailer, then i drop it in the water and get up to speed it stiffens up again??

if i order a new cable can i get it custom lenght? like to exact specifications or do they just come in certain lenght?

Have you tried to grease the grease points on the motor? There should be at least 1 or 2 on the vertical lower unit steering shaft. (Don't know exact name) The motor could be binding.
I would try that before going through the trouble of buying a new cable.

-Jacob

When buying a new steering cable you take a series of measurements then round up to the nearest foot.

Latest posts