V block or roller for the bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
I need a need v block or roller for the bow on my trailer......I am going to redo the whole set up so I can use what ever is best.....what do you like? Any pictures of a good winch and v block/roller set up ?
Thanks
Jack

I suppose a V-block might provide a slight edge for centering the bow, but to me that is kind of a stretch. Beyond that I don't really understand why one would be better than the other. I literally had to go look to see which I had. I have a roller.

Just make sure your winch strap/bow eye is below the V-block (or roller). If it is above, there is not too much keeping your boat from riding right up through your back window. Also make sure you have a safety chain to the bow eye in addition to your winch strap.

Yep...Thanks....I ordered a roller but not sure why....LOL

Guess it depends on how the boat loads.

My current boat slides up the winch post, it actually holds quite a bit of a weight. It has a V block, but would work better with a roller.

If the trailer has keel rollers up front that hold most of the weight, and the winch post is just a stop, a V block would be fine. Otherwise a roller is preferable.