v bottom conversion questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to tinboats.net and looking for some answers on converting my 16' v bottom aluminum boat. I'm wanting to put in a casting deck and some storage. The first question is what size bilge pump do I need? My second question is how to attach the frame for my decks to the hull and after carpet how do i attach the plywood to the frame without exposed screw holes? I know the answer to these questions is a lot more simple than my mind is making it but I'm just trying to do this thing right. Any help or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

I used 2x4 brackets and riveted them to the old bench seats. For stringers I used 1 1/4 aluminum angle. Measured everything out and cut the plywood, and carpeted it. I didn't need to screw the deck to the frame cause I built rod lockers on both sides, and used the old brackets to create downward pressure on the floor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,289
These pics are not of my boat, ( although mine is the exact same ) but this is how I did mine, I pretty much copied his idea.

Awesome. Thanks very much. i had thought about rivets but didn't know if i was making the project to complicated. Any other advice is welcomed.

If you are going to have lights or accessories you might want to run you wires before you get to much done. It makes it a lot easier. I used a piece of 1/2 inch pex line to run the wires through that way if I wanted to add any other accessories I could just pull the wire through the pex instead of trying to find a way to route the wire.

I also see a lot of people putting in multiple bilge pumps. I have a 16' v bottom so is that something I should do or can I get away with the one?

Do I have to put some kind of floatation under the deck? If so, what would y'all suggest? I'm wanting to keep the price down and I know spray foam can get expensive.

I went with the closed-cell foam insulation panels from HomeDepot, typically pink or blue colored. Cut to fit, cheaper and easier than spray foam.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318319#p318319 said:
cardinaljosh88 » 11 Jun 2013, 14:03[/url]"]Hi all, I'm new to tinboats.net and looking for some answers on converting my 16' v bottom aluminum boat. I'm wanting to put in a casting deck and some storage. The first question is what size bilge pump do I need? My second question is how to attach the frame for my decks to the hull and after carpet how do i attach the plywood to the frame without exposed screw holes? I know the answer to these questions is a lot more simple than my mind is making it but I'm just trying to do this thing right. Any help or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Check out my build it's in my signature it may help with your build. Good luck :beer:

Hey FerrisBueller, i can't seem to find those insulation panels at Home Depot or Lowes. How much do they cost and how many did you buy just in case I can find them on Amazon? All I could find was 2 part closed cell foam spray. It was $100 for 2 gallons.

Okay, now that I have an idea of what I'm going to do I will post some pics. I have a 16' RichLine model 15. Gonna take a while but I'm excited. Will post pics soon.

Latest posts