Various electrical questions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
First question, i am looking at a new sonar unit. I want/need something with gps and would like to step up to down imaging (in a perfect world I could afford a unit that would have gps, down imaging and side imaging, but that's just not a possibility). I have been looking at the humminbird 500 series, specifically https://store.humminbird.com/products/604319/581i_HD_DI_Combo and https://store.humminbird.com/products/604322/587ci_HD_DI_Combo. The only real difference is that the first is a greyscale model and the second is a color model. Having no on the water experience with either one, the videos I have seen appears that the color makes bottom hardness and other objects stand out more, but thats a pretty significant price increase for some color. So what is everyone opinion on this? Is it really worth shelling out the extra money for the color unit or, just stepping into the down imaging world, will the greyscale suit me just fine?
Second question, what onboard charger do you guys run? I have read that Noco is supposed to be one of the best out there and the prices aren't too awfully bad, any other recommendations? I would be looking at a two bank, possibly a three bank if I decide to go with a separate battery for starting the outboard. I would like something that I can plug up and not have to worry about monitoring the charge level, I want to just plug it up and let it go til the next trip. Also, is there a some sort of an insulator out there or wrap that can be used to protect a battery for outside winter storage? Right now I am running a single battery and I pull it out when I get home from duck hunting, but if I start running two or three batteries pulling all of them out after each trip to prevent freezing issues will be a real pain.
Final question, I have noticed that few companies are making marine cranking batteries these days they seem to have almost all switched to dual purpose batteries. My understanding is that a dual purpose battery barely works as either a deep cycle or a cranking battery, since both operations require different designs. Should I look for a cranking specific battery or just get a dual purpose? Also, how small can I go? I will be moving the two deep cycles to the center bench to open up room in the back of the boat and would like to find the smallest starting battery that would get me started everytime. What do you guys recommend?
Chris

If gps isn't a definite requirement, Academy has a clearance sale going on these.
https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_148159_-1__?N=46883185+101

I really would like to have the GPS, Kentucky lake and Barkley lake are pretty big lakes to get around on. So far I have not been impressed with Lowrance. Can't say exactly why I don't like them...just don't like them. But thank you for the suggestion.
Chris

I'm running a Humminbird 597 ci HD currently and really like it. I run 2 deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor and a starter battery for the engine and electronics. I'm kind of old school and believe in using separate batteries for the trolling motor. I've had good luck with Minn Kota products and am running a MK 315D 3 bank charger. Just plug it in and forget it.

Do you use a Navionics or Lakemaster chip with your GPS on the 597? I was looking at them today and I really don't know that it is worth spending the extra money on one. Maybe if I were a tournament angler I would see the point but for just fun fishing the cost doesn't seem to make sense. Any opinions?
Chris

chrispbrown27 said:
Do you use a Navionics or Lakemaster chip with your GPS on the 597? I was looking at them today and I really don't know that it is worth spending the extra money on one. Maybe if I were a tournament angler I would see the point but for just fun fishing the cost doesn't seem to make sense. Any opinions?
Chris
No, I haven't invested in one yet. We fish basically in Georgia and South Carolina. That seems to be the dividing line for the coverage for the chips I've looked at. So that means I would have to buy 2. I'm not up to that yet. The base map worked for my needs for now and you can mark waypoints on spots that you want to return to which is cool.

chrispbrown27 said:
, Second question, what onboard charger do you guys run? I have read that Noco is supposed to be one of the best out there and the prices aren't too awfully bad, any other recommendations? I would be looking at a two bank, possibly a three bank if I decide to go with a separate battery for starting the outboard. I would like something that I can plug up and not have to worry about monitoring the charge level, I want to just plug it up and let it go til the next trip. Also, is there a some sort of an insulator out there or wrap that can be used to protect a battery for outside winter storage? Right now I am running a single battery and I pull it out when I get home from duck hunting, but if I start running two or three batteries pulling all of them out after each trip to prevent freezing issues will be a real pain.
Final question, I have noticed that few companies are making marine cranking batteries these days they seem to have almost all switched to dual purpose batteries. My understanding is that a dual purpose battery barely works as either a deep cycle or a cranking battery, since both operations require different designs. Should I look for a cranking specific battery or just get a dual purpose? Also, how small can I go? I will be moving the two deep cycles to the center bench to open up room in the back of the boat and would like to find the smallest starting battery that would get me started everytime. What do you guys recommend?
Chris

I run a NOCO 4 bank charger and love it i got Lucky and ordered mine through AMAZON and got a great deal. be sure to check them out.
I have been running a dual purpose battery for my cranking battery for years and have never had an issue. remember that not only do you need the battery to start the boat motor but also run your electronics and live wells so the deep cycle part comes in handy for that.

now to the first question... I cant comment on the hummingbird units I have been a Lowrance guy for many years and haven had many issues and have had great customer service with them when needed.
I found that when i made the switch to a color unit it did make a huge difference,I could fine tuns the color pallet to the point that you can make out rocks in the middle of a grass bed. I also have the structure scan with the down scan.. The best way to describe the down scan image is it looks like a sonogram or very detailed.
My unit comes with the insight maps but i also use the map cards I found the HOTMAPS makes a card that offers every lake that they have made a map for on one card they have updated a lot of the maps also over the last few years if you use the paper maps to locate structure having the map card would help. the one issue would be screen size on the smaller screens it can be hard to read the detail.
I hope this helps

What I am thinking of doing is running dual deep cycle up front for trolling motor, fish finder, running lights and so on. Then I was thinking of trying to find a smaller cranking battery to put back by the motor just for the outboard. I have always run a single battery for the outboard and all accessories, but have always been nervous when out on the lake (though I have only once had a battery die on my and that battery had been in service for about 8 yrs, so it was ready to die anyway).
I think I have decided that the color is a must. The detail just seems to make a big difference. The unit I am leaning toward is: https://store.humminbird.com/products/604322/587ci_HD_DI_Combo . Saw a 700 series with the same basic features this weekend and man it was nice. The thing I am having a hard time with is that I would be paying pretty close to half the price I did for the boat, motor and trailer....just kinda hard to stomach paying that much for a little piece of equipment.
Chris

chrispbrown27 said:
The thing I am having a hard time with is that I would be paying pretty close to half the price I did for the boat, motor and trailer....just kinda hard to stomach paying that much for a little piece of equipment.
Chris
that [problem can be solved very easily just go buy a new boat i saw a new triton for around 65k that would make you depth finder lok cheap

Ha ha that's one route to take...but I will be happy to keep my jon boat.....never have understood why anyone ever needed anything else!
Chris

I'd definitely go with a color unit. I've had both and the color is just better. BTW, Cabelas has the 596c HD DI on sale, but that unit doesn't have GPS. You'll want to run your finder off your cranking battery if possible to avoid "noise" interference from the trolling motor.

There are a lot of good on-board chargers out there. I've got a Dual Pro SS2 2-bank up front for my trolling motor batteries, and a Cabelas single bank (which is a Pro Mariner) in the back for the starter, and both have worked fine for me with no problems.

I run 2 Interstate deep cycles up front in parallel, and a marine cranking battery in the back for the big motor and the nav lights. You don't need to wrap your batteries if you put them on on-board chargers, just plug them up when you get home. Another thing to think about, if you're worried about getting back to the ramp, is to get a good set of marine jumper cables that are long enough to reach between your batteries. That way, if you run down your cranking battery for some reason, you can jump it from your others.

chrispbrown27 said:
Ha ha that's one route to take...but I will be happy to keep my jon boat.....never have understood why anyone ever needed anything else!
Chris
I fish about 17 tournaments a year all over the east coast. and i like going 75mph lol and i didnt want to spend more that 5% of the total package on my depth finder

gillhunter said:
I'm running a Humminbird 597 ci HD currently and really like it. I run 2 deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor and a starter battery for the engine and electronics. I'm kind of old school and believe in using separate batteries for the trolling motor. I've had good luck with Minn Kota products and am running a MK 315D 3 bank charger. Just plug it in and forget it.
I run the exact same setup except I have a two bank charger only. 210D Minnkota.
I also have the navionics chip. Difference being is that Lakemaster has about 300lakes per chip, and Navionics around 5 times that covering multiple states.....Lakemaster has a bit more detail, but Navionics works well enough detail for what I need. Fairly accurate to mark waypoints and come back to them later.

chrispbrown27 said:
First question, i am looking at a new sonar unit. I want/need something with gps and would like to step up to down imaging (in a perfect world I could afford a unit that would have gps, down imaging and side imaging, but that's just not a possibility). I have been looking at the humminbird 500 series, specifically https://store.humminbird.com/products/604319/581i_HD_DI_Combo and https://store.humminbird.com/products/604322/587ci_HD_DI_Combo. The only real difference is that the first is a greyscale model and the second is a color model. Having no on the water experience with either one, the videos I have seen appears that the color makes bottom hardness and other objects stand out more, but thats a pretty significant price increase for some color. So what is everyone opinion on this? Is it really worth shelling out the extra money for the color unit or, just stepping into the down imaging world, will the greyscale suit me just fine?
Second question, what onboard charger do you guys run? I have read that Noco is supposed to be one of the best out there and the prices aren't too awfully bad, any other recommendations? I would be looking at a two bank, possibly a three bank if I decide to go with a separate battery for starting the outboard. I would like something that I can plug up and not have to worry about monitoring the charge level, I want to just plug it up and let it go til the next trip. Also, is there a some sort of an insulator out there or wrap that can be used to protect a battery for outside winter storage? Right now I am running a single battery and I pull it out when I get home from duck hunting, but if I start running two or three batteries pulling all of them out after each trip to prevent freezing issues will be a real pain.
Chris

the color monitor will be easier to read than just grey scale. as for chargers buy the best you can afford. i myself would not use or buy a dual purpose cranking/deep cycle battery. your starter needs a short powerful blast of amps to start your engine and a deep cycle battery is designed to give a slow steady supply of amps to your electronics(fish finder,lights etc...) that do not require the high amperage output a starter needs from a cranking/starting battery. so i cant see how you could meet two different requirements with one battery. as for what size cranking battery find out how much juice ur starter needs to turn it over . say its 500 cranking amps, id buy the battery with the most cranking amps over 500 i could afford. remember if your plugs are old or you have something in the electrical system that is not working 100% most likely you will have to make a few attempts to get the motor started and beleive me it dont take long to kill a battery if you have to keep turning it over and then your on the water with a motor thats not gonna start. as for storing your batteries, i would never leave mine outside or any place cold over the winter, even with a battery maintainer or a trickle charge hooked up...batteries do not like cold and you may end up shortening their life

The daul purpose battery will be fine it is designed to do exactly what yu are saying it has the cranking amps for starting the motor
and has thicker plates to last for hours. I have been using one as most bass boats do for 15 years (not the same battery) without having any issue.

Latest posts