Wax On Wax Off

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Not that I don't have enough to keep me busy.

Are you guys putting any kind of paste wax or something on your outboards to protect the paint? Is it worthwhile? What do you use?

I use turtle wax spray for years. Cleaner/ wax, cheap, easy on- easy off. Makes my black Merc look nice and shiney and the crud comes right off. Can re spray and clean in 5 minutes or less. Also use it on my painted aluminum hull. Can do most of the boat (16') in 10-15 minutes. On the bottom below the water line, I just spray it on and kind of slop it around, no worry about buffing, just keeps the crud from sticking. Every few outings I do a quick recoat.

No. I don't use wax on my tin boat. I would if I had an expensive paint job.
If you boating water has crud in it that sticks to your hull, try spraying in cheap auto wax, no buffing needed. Next time that crud comes off much easier. Even on bare aluminum it makes the crud sort of wash off then a quick spray and your good.

If you boating water has crud in it that sticks to your hull, try spraying in cheap auto wax, no buffing needed. Next time that crud comes off much easier. Even on bare aluminum it makes the crud sort of wash off then a quick spray and your good.
Good advice that I'd not thought of. The water in my neck of the woods is usually clear of sticky stuff. However the algae can be a nuisance but washes off easily.

Also a fan of Turtle Wax spray. Used to at one time always use TW paste, but the spray is so much easier and quicker. For the record as far-fetched as it sounds, it seems to last just as long too. Too bad they changed the formula not long ago and it no longer has that nice smell that I have grown to associate with a squeaky clean car!

The spray also makes a decent detail spray on my bike......as long as it's not filthy.

I plan to wax, maybe compound first, and buff my new boat in the spring. I've seen recent pics and she looks pretty sharp when waxed up. Especially considering she's over 50 years old! Not sure what to use, so I'll be watching this thread. As for the motor unless it sits in the sun I'm thinking you prob won't get any benefit from waxing it.

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking only of the outboard but with the ease of the spray on wax, using it on the hull seems like a good idea too. Currently, I used liquid Bar Keeper's Friend to clean the scummy stuff off the outboard. It works great, but next time out the crud is back. Something that might work to just wash off the crud is appealing.