Weighing Boats in CA Lakes???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mephitic

Reaction score
I heard today through a friend which of course heard it through another friend, that during heavy use days (holidays, etc) several California lakes (Silver Lake, Tahoe, Lake Amador, etc) will do some sort of weight test on you, your boat, and the equipment your carrying?! It was mentioned this test is actually pulling the boat behind something (not sure if it's another boat, from the dock, etc) to ensure your not over loaded and under the manufactures weight limit set for that boat.

I haven't been able to find anything on the mentioned lake websites, CA DMV, or any CA boating materials. Has anyone else heard of this or know what this friend might be talking about?

Don't know about California, but SC has DNR checkpoints set up at some landings sometimes to check boats, registrations and equipment before you launch. I have not had them weigh me or my equipment as of yet.

Only way I could see them doing it is with certified scales like the DOT cops use on truckers. Weight to tow vehicle and loaded trailer, then weight the empty trailer. Add in the folks who will be riding but not in the tow vehicle and figure it up.

Sounds like BS to me...

I can see checking paperwork and what not, but not weighing. I called BS on it, and thought I'd try the guys here :)

Latest posts