Weldbilt Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elrodphil

Reaction score
Got a new Weldbilt 1548 from Backwoods Landing in April. It is a wonderful fishing boat. I want to put an aluminum floor in it and cover it with marine vinyl. What info do I need to provide to you guys so you could give me a place to start. I want to form fit the floor to the bottom of the boat and cut it to go around the ribs.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me...

Johnny said:
photos of what you have is always a good start.
simple drawings will also help the gallery help you.

cardboard and lattice patterns will always get you the most accurate
fit of the final product. the hotmelt glue gun is indispensable in making patterns.

Johnny, I've seen you refer to this process of lattice and cardboard for patterning. I'm trying to visualize how this works and I'm the type that needs pictures. I ran a search for Lattice and cardboard but only saw posts by you. Don't suppose you recollect or can link to any threads with pictures where someone has actually executed the process?

It may also be of assistance to OP?

One thing you'll find about aluminum boats is that they are almost never square or symmetrical. A lot of times you will make a pattern for something and then assume that you can just flip it over and it will be the mirror of the opposite side. That's where a lot of people go wrong cutting floors. Ribs are not square... seats are not square...sides are not the same curves..

This is why you should do it like Johnny describes. Make a full size pattern of both sides ... Assume nothing will be square or mirrored.

I can second this. Having just completed a full restore of a Weldbilt, I can tell you there's not a single straight edge or square corner on that boat. It makes it extremely difficult to fabricate various things. It also makes fabricated pieces that ARE straight and square, look crooked.

Be patient with your build, and make sure you check out my threads here:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39292

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30090