Welding question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmctanker

Reaction score
I am looking at a new boat, only problem is the motor has the skeg broken off. Anyone have any idean how much it would cost me to fix something like this?

Figure on 60+/hr, as these are general welding shop rates. Include time to fabricate a new one. I'm assuming you are speaking of one of the boats you linked to on another thread. Personally, I would stay away from that, solely due to the Force engine. They are something I don't want to mess with, for a multitude of reasons.

thanks for the reply. so force has its gremlins eh. all right thanks

No skeg no buy. If its missin a little piece at the bottom maybe one of those skeg protecters from overtons will work.

Force = Bad News. My mechanic didn't even want to mess with it.

#1 reason for me is can't hardly find parts anymore - reasonable at least.
I feel they are cheaply made. I blew one up shortly after a rebuild. So I am a bit jaded.

Now I have an Evinrude and can still get parts for the thing - even new ones :)

Here is an example on the work needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVS6qfveLG4

KRS62 said:
Here is an example on the work needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVS6qfveLG4
I saw a one thing I didn't like about that. He was working on a metal table, and grounding though the table. Whenever I have to work on something with precision gears and bearings in it, be it a marine gearcase, or automotive transmission, I drop a piece of plywood on the table, and pull out a good quality ground clamp. Reason being, when grounding through the table like that, the full current is running through the gears and bearings, which isn't the best for them. When working over the wooden table, the ground clamp is placed as near to the work as possible, to avoid as much current running through the gears and bearings as possible. Even if I hooked up the ground clamp, but worked on a metal table, chances are some stray current is going to start finding it's way around anyway, hence the reason for the wood.

Latest posts