What do I have

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you spend any money on someone else's boat get the boat legally in your name.
What state are you in? In some states no title is just scrap.

Im in ohio. I am a contractor and i work on forclosures for banks clean them out and fix them up and get them back on the market. The owner of this boat passed away and i had to remove it from a property. The family cleaned out what they wanted from the house and left the rest behind including this boat and also a mercury mountaineer that i also had to remove. The boat has a serial number and the previous OH numbers on the boat.

Check with which ever Government agency handles boat titles and registrations.

Well Ohio sucks for abandoned boats. Im supposed to go through the abandoned boat process which is long and a pain in the neck. After i go through the process im supposed to put the boat up for auction where i would have to win to be able to get the boat inspected and titled in my name. Looks like i will more than likely be selling the boat as is with no title and let someone else deal with it..

Im not sure if i can title it as a home made boat or not. It just sucks its suck a pain to get a boat in my name. Its all about the state trying to make a buck. I want to just write up a bill of sale and say the previous owner has passed away i dont know how they can tell me it cant be titled if i have a bill of sale.

catfish1991 said:
Im not sure if i can title it as a home made boat or not. It just sucks its suck a pain to get a boat in my name. Its all about the state trying to make a buck. I want to just write up a bill of sale and say the previous owner has passed away i dont know how they can tell me it cant be titled if i have a bill of sale.
I would try that. I live in ma and when my stepfather died I was instructed to do this by an RMV employee. Was a funny exchange because I was to clueless to understand what she was telling me to do. I followed her instructions, forged a signature and the boat was mine.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
IIRC you can register it in the state of Maine.
My mistake.
The trailer can be registered in Maine if you don't have a title.

Be glad your not in Texas. If you tell them the previous owner died, they make you go back to the next of kin and jump big hoops. Crazy, when all you are trying to do is tell the truth and be a legal law biding citizen. (But I do understand why they do it).