What size motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCabMax

Reaction score
I have a 17' Alum Crestliner boat. Its rated for up to an 85HP motor. My question is, how well do you think a 40HP merc would push it?? I'm not looking to break speed records, just like to be able to cover some ground, and get off the water if the weather turns bad. Its not going to be anything fancy, center console and 4 pedistal seats. Mostly and open floor plan with maybe a couple shelves. 2 batteries, and 2 6 gallon gas tanks. 3 people most of the time, maybe 4. What kind of motor is it going to take to be able to tube, or ski behind it?? Looking to try and build an all in one, fishing, hutning, and pleasure boat.

Would like to see some pictures,is it a flat,mod V,semi..etc.
Alot of people will say don't go below 75% of the max hp.That being said I think you should do fine and depending on the weight and style boat,exspect somewhere around 30mph?

You could get away with a 40 for just boat and fishing. Would not be a speed demon but it would get on plane and probably work for you. Tubing and skiing is another story with two batteries, two gas tanks and some passengers. for what you are wanting to do I would suggest a minimum of 60hp. Others will tell you not to go any less than max boat rating and that is often good advice however I learned to ski behind an old Lonestar fiberglass with 35 hp. Wasn't easy but it did pull you up. By the way, don't know what year your talking about but the newer Merc's I think the 40 to 60 are all physically the same size. At least that is my impression. Good luck! There are some serious experts on here of which I am NOT one but some will be along to chime in. :wink:

Its a deep V boat. Here's a pic of the boat. Its currently a bare hull, working on the going back toether process.

010-2.jpg

Yea you can go smaller bnut with that big heavy boat its going to kill your fuel use. Always go as close to the max HP as possible, the boat will ride better get on plllane faster and use far less fuel. Yuo can get the bigger motor and should you get caught out on a lake in a storm at lest you will have a chance to get off the lake. with a smaller motor should the wind come up you are pretty well screwed and could die if conditions are right.

Bigger is by far safer.

Latest posts