Which lake charts to buy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarryB

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Hummingbird 999ci HD SI on my G3 Jon I also have a Minn Kota Power drive V2 that I plan on hooking up to the Hummingbird once I get the $$$ for I-pilot. I am gonna order some lake maps of some sort and didn't know which I should order. The two I know of and am trying to decide between is Lake Master and Navionics. Didn't know what the pros and con's where of each. I like in Ky and fish in Ky pretty much all the time. I fish a lake called Cave Run lake in Morehead Ky. I usually fish the back waters feeding the lake more than anything. Kind thinking it's not gonna have anything on the back waters but if one of these two options does that would be a huge huge plus! Thanks in advance for the input guys!

First, I will tell you to check the coverage's of each brand of card. If both brands have coverage of the lakes you fish, Lakemaster has custom options that can be adjusted with the Humminbird. Navionics does not. The HD maps on the LM card are a lot more detailed as well. If you have any plans of buying ipilot link then LM is the only card that will operate that. I run humminbirds and I have both LM and Navionics cards because of the coverage. I prefer LM If you go to navionics website, click on webapp and you can find out if your lake(s) are covered. If you go to LM/Humminbird you will need to read thru the list of lakes on each card to check coverage

I just found out LM does not cover my lake and Navionics does. How hard is it to map out the lake using my HB unit if I go with LM? I'm sure the detail isn't going to be HD with 1 ft increments like their HD maps are would they?

GarryB said:
I just found out LM does not cover my lake and Navionics does. How hard is it to map out the lake using my HB unit if I go with LM? I'm sure the detail isn't going to be HD with 1 ft increments like their HD maps are would they?

I don't have any experience with Autochart, but here's the link https://www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/Autochart/ Navionics has the ability to map out a lake as well. The main difference between the two is the LM charts are yours. You make them, upload them, and are the only one who can view them. With Navionics, your charts become property of Navionics and they can be viewed by everyone. I guess this could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. You have access to more maps, but you also risk your secret honeyhole no longer being secret.

That is neat and I wish I could use LM and I will use it I guess when they map out Cave Run Lake but this lake is 8270 acres so I'm not sure how long that would take to chart out but I'm thinking a pretty good while. lol You couldn't do it all at once so not sure about overlapping the charts etc. I think I'm gonna go with Navionics at this time. Do you know what all the different levels of Navionics give you? Been reading my brains out but still can't figure out the differences between them.

Basically, the Hotmaps Premium is the standard card. Hotmaps Platinum is the next step up which has the Sonarcharts community edit (the chart plotting so everyone can access your honeyholes :D ) and 3d overlays if your graph is compatible. Navionics+ is a blank card and you can download just the lakes you want. Gold and Premium+ are for saltwater and outside the U.S.

Latest posts