Yet another 1436 jon restoration/mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnease

Reaction score
I have no idea as to the manufacturer of this boat, or the year made. There is no hull plate, although I believe there used to be one. I have filled the holes with rivets where I think the plate used to be. I picked up the boat, trailer, two paddles, three anchors, trolling motor, and battery for $500. The guy from whom I bought it purchased it from a pawn shop. All of those facts lead me to believe the boat was at some time stolen, or simply recovered after a storm or sinking somewhere. I believe it is a late 50's model, but no proof. It has endured a sloppy transom replacement, having rivets on the bench seats replaced with plain zinc coated bolts (which, of course, are rusted out), and having the entire outside of the hull coated with rattle can bed liner. WTF!!
Originally, I was simply going to move the rear bench seat up a few inches, to allow operation of the trolling motor without hitting the clamp on swivel seats that were included with the purchase. However, as I got into it, I realized that it was in serious need of some tlc, and could use a live well, some decks, real swivel seats, etc. I have begun the process of stripping down to bare metal, so I can repair/replace/rebuck rivets. After finishing all of the repairs, will build a floor in the rear, and replace the bench seat that came with the boat with a pedestal based seat.

One of the coatings (closest to the bare metal) was an orangish red elastic coating of some sort - very hard to strip off. But, I am getting there. I can't tell for sure, but think the coating was under the original top coat, which was some shade of green. Boat might be a Desoto, or something else. Any one with ideas, please let me know your thoughts about its identity.

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,232
The 'bedliner' stuff on the outside sounds like it had some leaks, but you said you were gonna redo the rivets. Check the welds(there has to be some) when you get it srtipped down. I love my 1436!

Gary

Yes, Sir. I am in a state that requires a title. I have already procured the title and registration from GA DNR. Took a bit of work on my part, but got it done. :wink:

There were a few small leaks, I tested the boat before I started work on it. Most are from loose rivets, but there are also a few small holes that will have to be filled. I plan on using System Three T-88 structural epoxy to fill in and fair the dings I cannot hammer out.

Almost have the stripping completed. As I mentioned earlier, there is a reddish orange elastic coating right next to the metal. I'm guessing it was applied when the boat was built, but that's just a guess. It's possible that someone did a rework or rehab of the boat many years ago, and put that coating on prior to painting first green, then white, and the ultimate black bedliner. Below are a couple of pics of the coating close up, and one of the entire boat that's nearly clean now.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 1,192
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,192
Okay, don't know why I didn't think to measure the boat before I bought it - it's actually 13'6" long, with a 34" bottom measurement. Odd, but that's what it is. Measurement across top is 48", so the decks will be pretty low down in the boat. Think I am gonna do two, one for pedestal seat in rear, and one in front. Going to convert the center bench to a live well. Either will fabricate one to completely replace the center bench, or make one to slip down into the center bench. Stripping is now complete, and the boat is flipped back right side up, so I can cipher out the decks, etc.

Got the transom (pressure treated) off, and the extra strip of aluminum that was used to reinforce the old. Have about 60 bolt holes to patch, and will rehab a transom from non treated plywood, coat with epoxy, and reinstall. I have decided to attach the decks directly to the cross bracing, to keep the center of gravity lower. Will used pedestal based swivel seats, and either fabricate or have fabricated a live well from aluminum, to take the place of the center seat. Then, it's on to re-bucking and replacing rivets, designing the front deck, coating the bottom with system three epoxy, and painting. I'd try to reweld the front seams, as they are busted, but the metal is too thin for me to tackle, with my limited welding skills. So, will patch with additional metal and rivets, with 5200 to seal.

Latest posts