Yet another Tracker Tournament TX Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boarhog

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find this 1988 Tracker Tournament 17 TX with a Yamaha 50 pro for a song. The carpet was in bad condition and the floors have a few soft areas. The wiring looks like it was done using the trial and error method by children. And now the fun begins!

Attachments

• tracker3.jpg
    tracker3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,181
  • tracker2.jpg
    tracker2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,181
  • tracker1.jpg
    tracker1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,181
They are fun boats, but they all seem prone to the same fate at this age. Mine looked really good, but I couldn't believe how bad it was when I took it apart.

Hopefully it won't be too bad, I plan to remove the console and forward storage compartments and make it a stick steer. And replace all of the wood with aluminum and the factory foam with closed cell foam panels.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=330789#p330789 said:
wingsnhammers » 29 Sep 2013, 23:32[/url]"]I wish I could find a screaming deal like that when I have money! That would be worth 2K around here. lol
I agree....I had to pay $2500 for my 1751 Polar Kraft with NO motor.

I found some time yesterday to start tearing out the floors and foam. I ended up with 7 black garbage bags full of just foam (wet foam), it must have weighed at least 300lbs, now the weight of the batteries seem insignificant. When the foam was sprayed in they filled the water channels so that the water was trapped and absorbed into the flotation, it seems tracker would have fixed this issue by now along with the use of wood in the transom (mine is in great shape somehow). Many of the rivets were broken or poorly done and will be replaced. Here's what I was able to get done so far.

Attachments

• tracker5.jpg
    tracker5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,100
  • tracker6.jpg
    tracker6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,100
  • tracker4.jpg
    tracker4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,100
I'm looking for a pod to put my seat on, like the ones found on sticksteer boats. So far I've had no luck. If anyone has any ideas let's hear them! The aluminum for the floor has been cut and trial fitted and the steering cable has been pulled. I'll try to get some pictures of my progress this week.

While surfing CL a few days ago, I saw an ad for a boat junkyard somewhere in GA. They needed to move lots of stuff for some reason. GL

Thanks guys! I'll have to look into those sources. Tntroller do you know where the boat yard is located by chance?

This is what I'm looking for. Plastic or aluminum with storage under the seat.

Attachments

• seat1.jpg
    seat1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,838
I would use a nice cooler and just put some 1/2" starboard or 1/4" aluminum on the lid. It would probably be cheaper than having a custom aluminum pod made to sit on. Just an idea!

The boat has been put on the back burner for several months, but I have been able to do a few things like rewiring the trailer and installing new led trailer lights, routed the steering cable for the new sticksteer set up. But I have decided that I don't have enough free time to get her finished so with a heavy heart I've decided to sell the boat with all of the extras that I've bought, so I'll be posting it on the swap and sell section with a list of included supplies and gear.

Latest posts