Don't leave me alone at the HD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This is the reason guys like me should never be left alone with the PVC pipes at the Home Depot. I've made a career out of inventing crappy stuff out of crappy materials but this is the worst yet. I can't seem to come up with any good way to make a frame for my boat cover so it sheds water. Part of the problem is the cover fits like a gunny sack but there is also a lot of stuff sticking up like the seats and TM. I've tried just bending PVC, but without some rigid connection to the boat it sags under the weight and falls apart. I've tried wooden slats but again need a rigid connection to the boat. My last attempt on my 1236 worked really well but this one's a mess.

P1010003-1.jpg

This is the 1236

pvcbows.jpg

That's funny. I'm a big fan of the center pole setup witht he straps that go to each corner. usually used on glass boats. I had one and it helped shed the water and even last years monster snows. Plastic is too weak when cold to hold snow loads.

hopefully this winter I'll have the boat in the lower shed instead of tons of junk...

Jamie

bobberboy,

Here's a thought:

I like the idea you have and it's cheap, but the PVC just won't hold up long term or in cold weather.

Here's an idea should work and perhaps will not break the bank too much. Instead of using PVC, search around HD for pipe conduit. It's thin, bendable, you can attach it a variety of ways as well and it'll hold up in the rain. I think if you formed arches with it and did not get it too high, it'd work really well for you.

Hope this helps,

Dave

DaveInGA said:
bobberboy,

Here's a thought:

I like the idea you have and it's cheap, but the PVC just won't hold up long term or in cold weather.

Here's an idea should work and perhaps will not break the bank too much. Instead of using PVC, search around HD for pipe conduit. It's thin, bendable, you can attach it a variety of ways as well and it'll hold up in the rain. I think if you formed arches with it and did not get it too high, it'd work really well for you.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thanks. I wondered about conduit but guessed it wouldn't bend enough.

I've worked it quite a bit in my past career as an electronics tech. It'll bend fairly easily, you just have to be patient with it and go slowly. They make a tool for electrical work, but I think a 50 Gallon barrel or something bigger would work better for a boat.

I worked in the electrical supply biz over 15 years. I've seen guys use trees to bend pipe.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I worked in the electrical supply biz over 15 years. I've seen guys use trees to bend pipe.

And there ya go. Hadn't done any outside to see that, but that's about the move convenient bending tool ever. :LOL2: