12/36 boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabolic ben

Reaction score
I picked up a 12/36 and a 40 TM off of Craiglist for 475. And a Rusty trailer for 200 bucks. I'm going to start taking the trailer apart tomorrow to hit it w/ the wire wheel. I live in between two big lakes. Lake Texoma and Lake Ray Roberts. That's what the rusty trailer is for. But, I live on a smaller lake about 50 ft. from the waters edge. I want to make a small light trailer to pull w/ a golf cart to get to the water's edge without a big heavy trailer. It doesn't have to be a legal trailer or registered at all. I will probably make it out of aluminum w/ some good tires to get through some short grass. I am not going to use wood or carpet in the boat. I want it as carefree as possible. And I want to keep it as light as possible. I am going to put aluminum sheeting for the floor with some kind of spray on grip similar to rhino lining. Any ideas anyone? I saw a couple of light seats at Wallyworld today I will use.

102_05691.jpg

3ka3m33pf5O55T15U3b1vc42499ac9dec15af1.jpg

102_05701.jpg

I took off the rollers today. I cut the U bolts off with a grinder. In all about a 15 minute job. I am going to have to grind off pretty much every bolt off this thing because they are soooooo rusted on. I like all the sparks from the grinder anyway. I need to get some ear plugs though. I am already hard of hearing from working on a rifle range. I have to protect what little hearing I have left. tomorrow the fenders are coming off. I haven't decided if I will keep these. They are pretty bent up. I will try wacking them w/ a hammer to straighten them out. I picked up self etching primer for it at $17 a can and some flat black engine enamel to protect it. I didn't have much to choose from as far as paint. I spotted a can of Herculiner. I thought of painting the trailer w/ that. Still thinking on that one.......

102_06031.jpg

if your going to paint that trailer i would get a flapper wheel or a steel wire wheel on the grinder. I've used some of the spray on liner from auto zone that chiped up on some rust spots on one of my trailers. So try to clean that trailer up as much as possible. and for the hearing, wear ear plugs, I work in a welding fab shop ear plugs are a must.. You've gotta be the first person I've ever heard of that likes to grind.. lol

greenhead206 said:
You've gotta be the first person I've ever heard of that likes to grind.. lol

No kidding. :lol:

Do take care of your ears. It was constant grinding that caused a bit of hearing loss, as well as tinnitus for me. Not exactly a fun position to be in, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Got the ear plugs. :D It's taking longer than I thought to take this trailer apart. It's almost totally apart. I had to grind every bolt off. None of them would budge. I will post more pics after I prime It.

I don't think that trailer is a good match for the boat you have.
First it doesn't have any cross members to mount your bunks too. The suspension was intended for a larger, heavier boat with a small lightweight jon the trailer is going to bounce bad every time you hit a bump. You could have cross members welded on and removed a few leafs from the springs and make it work or you can fix it up and sell it and buy a trailer more appropriate for the boat you have.