12' Sears V-hull Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befmccracken

Reaction score
I bought my first boat last summer and decided to put some money into it this year to make it a better fishing boat.

Here are pictures of my progress.

It's a 12' Sears with a 1999 Johnson 2 hp motor and 55lb Minn Kota.
Some things I've added since are a rod rack, cup holders, and rope cleats.
Future add-ons will be real seats, something to hold the battery in place, and lighting.

I'd say it's alright for a small fishing boat. What do you think? I'll take any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,549
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
  • IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,549
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,549
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,549
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,549
It's slow for lakes but will be decent for rivers. Would definitely recommend something bigger as a main motor.

I'd say it's a whole lot better than just "alright"...nice work!
I cannot tell from the photos, but you will want to make sure the stern of the boat is adequately supported clear to the transom, especially if you tailer with the motor on. Anxious to see your progress.
Rick

Looks great! If its not too much to ask, can you take a close up of the drain plug you installed? I need to install one on my 12' V also. I just dont know where to start! Thanks :)

Brandon said:
Looks great! If its not too much to ask, can you take a close up of the drain plug you installed? I need to install one on my 12' V also. I just dont know where to start! Thanks :)
I cut a side of the plug housing flat then drilled a hole in the boat where the plug hole would line up when the flat side sat tight to the bottom of the boat. I used a file to get the right size for the plug to tightly fit into. I used Marine Goop between the plug housing and the boat to hold and seal it really well. Place it at the lowest accessible spot. No leaks!

Attachments

• Drain Plug.png
    Drain Plug.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,443
nice work befmccracken. i'd like to steal your paddle storage idea.

befmccracken said:
It's slow for lakes but will be decent for rivers. Would definitely recommend something bigger as a main motor.
i'm crazy about small motors. they sure are slow, but a gallon would last for a weekend's worth of puttering about. i 'd never part with my 2hp.

Ok, I've taken the boat out on the bay now a few times and have run into some flaws. I'll write down a list of flaws and how I could fix the but will definitely be open to taking some of your ideas.

- The battery needs to somehow be stationary and more out of the way.
Somehow install a level surface right behind the end of the flooring.

- The front hatch inside lip snapped off (5/8" lip attached to 5/8" deck).
Metal brackets will hold more weight.

- The bottom half of the rubber rod holders aren't attached to anything making them flop around and not hold rods very well.
Really not sure what will look good and be supportive enough.

- Trolling motor needs a better permanent support.
I could rig something up with leftover wood.

- Lights are not yet wired.
Is it safe to run wire without being in some sort of extra housing?

Thanks again,
Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,387
Your modifications are the first that I have seen that want to make me make modifications to my own boat. I have the 10' version of the same boat and I have been opposed to making changes because I want to keep it simple. I like the cleanliness of your changes and how practical you have made thing for fishing in a small boat. The one thing keeps holding me back would be the loss of the foam floatation. After seeing yours, I am trying to think of a way to get rid of the center seat and still keep the floatation. Do you have any ideas?

My boat is awkward to move from fishing on the center seat to the back seat for the motor. I have a seat that swivels and I always swivel around get to the back seat instead of standing but is awkward to lift my feet up over the seat. A 7" pedistal seat in the center would make it alot easier to move back and forth and I think it would help me keep my balance .

Your rear seat is also a great idea because it puts you in a confortable position for the tiller. I generally like to kneel in the floor in front of the back seat when using the motor but that can make it a streatch to reach the tiller handle. Your design is really well thought out.

Have the boards along the gunnel done a good job of strenthening the sides once the seats were removed?

I find that I have better trim with the trolling motor and battery in the front. I keep my battery under the raised deck in the front. I have gone through several versions of ways to clamping my trolling motor to the bow. I either have to leave my gas engine in the water or use a small rudder at the stern to make the boat track right when using the trolling motor on the front.

nlester said:
After seeing yours, I am trying to think of a way to get rid of the center seat and still keep the floatation. Do you have any ideas?
Have the boards along the gunnel done a good job of strenthening the sides once the seats were removed?
Thanks for the ideas. If I were to move the battery and TM to the front I would be plowing way too much when there are two people in the boat.

As for the foam, you could add storage hatches and line them with foam. One or two could go behind the back seat and you could run about 10" wide compartments on each side of the boat between the front and back seat, still leaving room to walk.

The boards actually worked out really well. I used 1x6x8 cedar deck boards and 6 bolts per side with tee nuts to fasten them on. They are also great for mounting add-ons too and tying in new structures.

Thanks for the response. I think I will get rid of the front seat this winter to give me more flexability. I only have 2 seats and I may leave the back seat or replace it wiht 2 small ones slong the gunnels at the transom.One seat in the stern would be sufficent but I would like more foam than that. I would probably put a seat on a 7" post in the center of the boat that would roatate 360 degrees.

Having foam in the rear seat(s}, under the 'front raised deck and along the sides should give me plenty of floatation in case I get swamped again. I know from experience that floatation foam can save your boat. Sealed storage compartments would probably add as much floatation as I would need but I know foam works.

I have my battery and trolling motor in the bow to help keep the bow down when I am at the tiller. My boat is really only a one person boat and I rarely have anyone with me unless we are just going fishing in a cove. There is a big difference between a 10' foot and 12'.

Keep us upto date with any changes and thanks for the ideas. You have a clean design.