G3 1648lw Side Console Steering Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minicuda

Reaction score
She's far from finished but some of you guys have been asking about her so i'll post what i got :lol:
here she is at the boat stealership
g31648lw.jpg

she was nice when i got her but it wouldn't be right to keep her that way so everything had to come out.

i wanted to use the livewell in the center seat so thats where i started. I also wanted to drill as few holes in the boat as possible so i used the existing threaded lugs for the seats the previous owner had installed. i made patterns so the bolt holes would line up and built the front deck off plywood plates that bolt to the old seat locations.

boat009.jpg

sorry i didn't take more pics but this is the front deck frame. I used 2x2s and 1/2 inch ply. the cross braces in the center every other one is just sitting there they will be used to hold the 2 deck pieces together and screwed to the frame after the carpet is installed, this is how the deck is secured without any screws used on top of the deck, gives me a nicer finished look.

boat017-1.jpg

boat016.jpg

I never would have been able to complete this project without my designated board catcher and scap hole driller
boat020.jpg

boat024.jpg

this is the deck with all the ply on it still need to cut out live well which will also serve as a step up to the front deck.
boat007-1.jpg

slap some boards together and see if i can make a console
boat011-1.jpg

boat012-1.jpg

I was going to use the red seats they are for my 12' but i just couldn't do it they didn't match.
boat015-1.jpg

starting to look like something
boat023-2.jpg

after fabbing up the ruff shape of the console i trimmed the sides down some and slopped all the edges and imperfections with some good ol bondo. i then sanded the bondo smooth and rounded all my edges. if your carpeting you don't have to do as much sanding depending on the carpet. I could have glassed it and painted it but i'm lazzy. hte holes cut into the side are for wiring and helm accsess they will be covered in powdercoated diamond plate some day.
boat022-1.jpg

boat021-1.jpg

boat023-1.jpg

boat025-1.jpg

sorry about the pic quality worked alot of late nights lots of pics in the dark. if you look under the storage door holes you will see the cross braces i mentioned earlier.
boat019-1.jpg

carpeted deck starting to look like a real boat
boat020-1.jpg

I can steer time to hit the water
boat027-1.jpg

boat028-1.jpg

boat031-2.jpg

video
https://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s273/minicuda/?action=view&current=boat034-1.flv

hatches carpeted and installed
ok005.jpg

ok010.jpg

ok011.jpg

saved a few spots so i can keep the whole project in a row. hope that's ok jim :wink:

You did a heck of a job man! You should be proud of it! Of course you have to share credit with your helper :D

ST

I like your Boat so much I'm going do all most the same .
what would think about about put the steering in the middle

Attachments

• IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,751
Great job.

Moving the seating position fwd of the rear bench will really improve your ride. It will plane out quicker and ride more shallow in the rear because of it. Just a better balance. Mine is moved just fwd of the rear bench but it makes a huge difference in planing and draft.

I never liked the idea of sitting on the rear bench when installing a console on a boat.

Latest posts