Battery disconnect switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott F

Reaction score
My old Ranger boat has a dash mounted, push button, disconnect switch that disables all accessories and keeps them from draining my battery while the boat is off the water. I’m looking to put a similar switch on my new tin boat but I can’t find what I’m looking for. I’m only trying to disconnect the accessories not the engine so I’d like something a lot smaller than the big battery switches used that also disconnect the motor. What are you guys using?

how is your boat wired? do you have a pos and neg that feeds a fuse panel and all accessories run from that? if so just put in a simple switch before the panel on the positive wire. it would have to be a big enough switch to carry all the amps that all of your accessories use...like maybe a 40A on/off switch would work.

WWW.ezacdc.com has good stuff

duckman11 said:
how is your boat wired? do you have a pos and neg that feeds a fuse panel and all accessories run from that? if so just put in a simple switch before the panel on the positive wire. it would have to be a big enough switch to carry all the amps that all of your accessories use...like maybe a 40A on/off switch would work.

https://WWW.ezacdc.com has good stuff

This "simple switch" is what I'm looking for. Finding which switch to use that can handle the current and mount on my console is the problem. Ezacdc only shows rectangular mounted switches and I have no way to cut the hole to mount such a switch.

Scott F said:
duckman11 said:

https://WWW.ezacdc.com has good stuff

This "simple switch" is what I'm looking for. Finding which switch to use that can handle the current and mount on my console is the problem. Ezacdc only shows rectangular mounted switches and I have no way to cut the hole to mount such a switch.

I would also be interested in something like this for my boat. Im sure someone will come along and give us an answer. Hopefully with a direct link!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you post a picture of the current switch that I am missing?

What is the current requirement? Do you need the switch to be sealed or not?

Also, does it really have to be a pushbutton? The rectangular switches from ezacdc, for example, are rocker switches, not pushbuttons. You will find that the selection of higher current rocker switches (and toggles) is much greater than pushbuttons.

A rectangular switch would work except I have no way to cut the rectangular hole in my console. There are two of the switches on my old boat that have worked perfectly for 30 years. I'd only have to drill one hole to mount it. It would have to have at least a 20 amp rating. I've found a lot of reset switches except they only shut off when tripped. Or there are a lot of momentary contact switches. It doesn't seem like this should be difficult to find, but a switch with a high enough rating limits the choices.

eq3v4p.jpg

These are the switches on my 30 year old Ranger.

I have found something that will work, but at $75 it seems pretty pricey.

35a7qlj.jpg

Scott F said:
A rectangular switch would work except I have no way to cut the rectangular hole in my console. There are two of the switches on my old boat that have worked perfectly for 30 years. I'd only have to drill one hole to mount it. It would have to have at least a 20 amp rating. I've found a lot of reset switches except they only shut off when tripped. Or there are a lot of momentary contact switches. It doesn't seem like this should be difficult to find, but a switch with a high enough rating limits the choices.

eq3v4p.jpg

35a7qlj.jpg

Yea rich for my blood too!

Scott F said:

eq3v4p.jpg

35a7qlj.jpg

Yea rich for my blood too!

Does this link work for you?

https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Pushbutton-Switches/_/N-5g30Z1yzvvqx?P=1z0x8h3&Ns=Pricing|0

20 amp push button, in stock, sorted by price. Read the datasheets to ensure it will work for you. Shipping should be $5.

Also, it is pretty easy to make a single square hole with a drill bit, and a file. :)

Edit: I should note that if a switch on that page is listed as something like (ON)-OFF, it is a momentary switch, and wouldn't work for you. You want an ON-OFF, not an (ON)-OFF or an ON-(OFF).

I may remove the switch from the Ranger and take it to my Ranger dealer and see if he can get one for me.

.Mike said:
Does this link work for you?

https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Pushbutton-Switches/_/N-5g30Z1yzvvqx?P=1z0x8h3&Ns=Pricing|0

20 amp push button, in stock, sorted by price. Read the datasheets to ensure it will work for you. Shipping should be $5.

Also, it is pretty easy to make a single square hole with a drill bit, and a file. :)

Edit: I should note that if a switch on that page is listed as something like (ON)-OFF, it is a momentary switch, and wouldn't work for you. You want an ON-OFF, not an (ON)-OFF or an ON-(OFF).

Thank you!

I ordered a switch similar to the brass switch I posted above. If you Google SW700 switch, you will find several places to purchase with prices from $20-$30 plus shipping.

mt2js.jpg

I use these simple switches that mount on the battery terminal. No holes to drill and only about $5 on ebay.

Attachments

• A4E841F0-3267-4E24-BF96-806E1B9A51FF.png
    A4E841F0-3267-4E24-BF96-806E1B9A51FF.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 2,902
Plenty of simple solutions, its about setting up one wire to the motor and a parallel circuit to run the accessories with a simple on/off switch.
It doesn't take much skill to set one up like that.