12ft Project - "Tina Tinner"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My next project is a 12' Harber Manufacturing tinner that I have dubbed - "Tina Tinner"

I bought this boat on Kijiji, as it was in workable condition, with a terrible rattle can camouflage paint job that was flaking off. It also came with a vintage Eska Trolling Motor. The previous owner had built a PVC pipe blind that was used for duck hunting, by drilling self tapping hex screws into the gunwales.

Here is the boat after I picked it up, and cleaned it up:

FullSizeRender%206_zps23rv9l8y.jpg

The trolling motor:

IMG_1285%201_zpsxvspaxk9.jpg

IMG_1282_zpsxbx0wpxo.jpg

First thing on the list - remove the hex screws, old rod holder mounts and rotten transom plate.

IMG_1325_zpsibviaqdn.jpg

With that finished, it's off for media blasting. The boat is 0.050, so sandblasting it would likely remove too much of the aluminum. I opted to blast it with plastic media. This will give the boat enough texture to hold the Raptor Liner polyurethane bed liner that will be applied to the interior of the boat - making it leak free, for life.

Awesome little boat. I love the subtle lines of those older tinnys. Be careful with the bed liner inside the boat. We just bought an old flat bottom for my nephew that has Herculiner on the inside. We found about 20 rivets where water leaked in from underneath and had made the liner begin the peal off. He is going to strip each of those rivet areas then re buck before applying touch up liner over those bad spots.

Good advice, thank you - the boat is leak free already and I'm thinking with the texture from the media blasting, and good primer - it should hold - but I've been wrong before.

Time will tell!

the fisherman guy said:
Good advice, thank you - the boat is leak free already and I'm thinking with the texture from the media blasting, and good primer - it should hold - but I've been wrong before.

Time will tell!

Nice little boat you have there - lots of potential!

I'm interested in your method of sealing. I'd also like to put a bed liner coating on the inside of my tinny. Will this alone make the boat leak-free, or are you going to be addressing any potential issues on the hull of the boat as well?

Thanks!

- Mike

Boat is coming along nicely. Got it in for media blasting, which removed all the old paint. Learned of a previous name, that was written in sharpie beneath the last paint job - SS Adams.

Boat was stripped of all paint, with plastic media. Applied an epoxy primer base coat to the interior, followed by the tintable bedliner, Raptorliner which was tinted a light grey. Boat is now in the hot box baking at 140F to cure.

Next step is to spray the outside, which will be candy apple red, followed by a clear coat. Will post pictures in the next post.

Boat is back from the paint shop, and it sure looks sharp!

Here's a few pictures of the progress:

After media blasting:
IMG_1449_zpsnmn8brpa.jpg

The previous name reveals itself:
IMG_1445_zps1cuywfr3.jpg

After acid etching, a coat of epoxy primer was applied to the interior and exterior hull:
fb92fde0-12bb-48e2-8bed-b1df64d111ff_zpsqxh50zwe.jpg

The boat was then flipped over, and the Raptorliner was applied to the entire interior:
IMG_1447_zpsfpweyor3.jpg

48f2d59e-b497-4507-b195-661992f233b6_zpsaqwua1ws.jpg

Once the boat had spent a night in the oven at 140F to cure the Raptorliner, it was then flipped over and the exterior was painted with a nostalgic candy apple red.
IMG_1443_zpsv8cjjwcr.jpg

Now, the boat is home.

IMG_1459_zps257fo6no.jpg

The Raptorliner looks great, and provides plenty of grip to the inside of the boat.

IMG_1460_zpsrdbjgu4v.jpg

Next up, installing the transom plate, and fishing accessories.

Project complete!

I installed the transom plates today and took the little red boat for a spin on the lake this evening - it handles like a charm.

TT%20Final%201_zps249r90tz.jpg

TT%20Final%202_zpsqsbaawjy.jpg

TT%20Final%204_zpsnxzfrhxj.jpg

Latest posts