9.9hp on a new 1236 Tracker Grizzly?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drxfish

Reaction score
I was planning to buy a new 1236 grizzly and put a 9.9 hp outboard on it and I see they are only spec'd for a 5 hp? It is much sturdier than my old Generation III 1236 that I had a Merc 9.9 on, so not sure if there is a good reason for the restriction? I see lots of guys have 9.9 hp on Tracker Toppers, which are much lighter. Those are also spec'd for 5hp.

Would I be taking an unnecessary risk if I move forward with my plan, or do I have to look for a different jon? I am set on a 1236 or 1240 to fit it in my townhouse garage. Figured I would go new as it will likely be my last boat.

Thanks for any input!

Your biggest risk would be, if an accident occured, you would be negligent by overpowering your craft, even if the accident was someone elses fault. How much of a gambler are you ?? While scarce, mabey look for an older used with the 10 hp rating you need. I had one about 20 yrs back. An awesome jon boat made by Smoker, called a river jon, extra wide and extra deep, great boat, wish I still had it !! If only I could have saw the future.....

I just bought the marlon sp14. Paid 3250.00 in october. Unless storage is an issue you just don't know yet that you need a wide jon..aside from storage issue wider is better. That Marlon is wide at the transom so it planes at a low speed by design...good for low powered motors.

That is why it handles the 9.9....
Alumacraft 12/36 is rated for 10 HP
I am looking at Crestliner, All weld and maybe the Alumacraft 1240. The Alumacraft dealer 88 miles away wants $2,200 just for the boat. Crestliners are sold out in the 1240 in the Tri-state area. I can't find anything but Tracker toppers and old boats on CL or Facebook. I passed on a Alumacraft 1436 because it was going to be too tight in my garage. I know a 12 footer 36 or 40 will fit and I prefer welded if I can find one.

I am looking at Crestliner, All weld and maybe the Alumacraft 1240. The Alumacraft dealer 88 miles away wants $2,200 just for the boat. Crestliners are sold out in the 1240 in the Tri-state area. I can't find anything but Tracker toppers and old boats on CL or Facebook. I passed on a Alumacraft 1436 because it was going to be too tight in my garage. I know a 12 footer 36 or 40 will fit and I prefer welded if I can find one.
Crestliner is a nice boat. I have a 16 storm all weld all aluminum, no wood. Has been a fine fishing platform for my purposes.

Don't know where you're located but I have a neighbor here in central NC that has a NEW All-Weld, 1236, never been in the water for sale. I thought about it but want to stick with my MirroCraft for now. His is rated for a 15 if that makes any difference it might be worth the road trip.....

PLUS...... you might be able to just order a new capacity plate for your boat from Amazon.. check them out....

Jon boats are scarce and high priced, but if you really want one, be prepared to go for a ride. Even used boats...when I bought my Sylvan two summers back, I had to drive 200 miles each way to find one in like new condition.

I had a 15 on a boat rated for 7.5, tore up the bow after pounding too many 2 footers in a tiny boat. On a calm lake you'll have no problem. If you get into a wreck, drop the engine to the bottom, unless they recover it, you're off the hook. LMAO, don't take advice from me.

I had a 15 on a boat rated for 7.5, tore up the bow after pounding too many 2 footers in a tiny boat. On a calm lake you'll have no problem. If you get into a wreck, drop the engine to the bottom, unless they recover it, you're off the hook. LMAO, don't take advice from me.
To many people taking pics today with there phones. If an injury accident they will for sure look up everything !!

Anywhere on the east coast, jon boats are a dime a dozen. I can probably find 50 of them on FB Marketplace rated for 9.9+ right now for $600 or less.

A 1236 is a small boat. Weight is probably the issue. The smaller the boat, the more unstable they are with a load. You need to balance it carefully.

I almost sunk a 1248 by putting a 4-stroke on it instead of a 2-stroke it was designed for, plus my 200 lb butt in the back. I had to dive for the front of the boat, and then get out fast to save it.