Anchors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron42261

Reaction score
I took my 14ft money pit out for the first time Wed.
Everything went OK tried to do a little fishing but mostly played with the trolling motor in the wind.

I was wondering about using an anchor. I have a mushroom anchor will it hold my 14 ft. V bottom so I can fish a spot till I learn to use this trolling motor?

How long a rope should I use & I assume I need cleats to tie to?

I could use some pointers please
Thanks Ron

I went and weighed it only 10 lbs. is that enough?
So 42 ft. of rope for 14ft.

Jim said:
The rule of thumb is that the rope should be 3 times the length of the boat.

Uh, you mean three times the length of the maximum depth right?? And for anchors it is called a rode, not a rope.

The three times rule is to allow a spade (Danforth) type anchor to dig into the bottom. With a mushroom, you are using the weight to hold you for the most part so you can run the rode much tighter (conditions permitting)

So when Michael rode his boat to shore(halilua)he pulled himself with the anchor line?

Esquired said:
Jim said:

Uh, you mean three times the length of the maximum depth right?? And for anchors it is called a rode, not a rope.

The three times rule is to allow a spade (Danforth) type anchor to dig into the bottom. With a mushroom, you are using the weight to hold you for the most part so you can run the rode much tighter (conditions permitting)

Call it what you want, I'm calling it a rope. :LOL2:

on a nice calm dy the 10lb anchor wil be fine.... but if the wind kicks up a 100lb anchor might not be enough
I woud try the 10lb and see what happens if you need more then go bigger

Wayne

Jim said:
Esquired said:
Jim said:

Call it what you want, I'm calling it a rope. :LOL2:

We always called it Line, lol. :)

I have a 12lb mushroom anchor on my rig, secured to 3/8" dia, line :wink: , The places I fish have muddy bottoms, and I've had the wind push me off of my anchorage and drift before. Once you've let-out enough line the mushroom anchors will "lean" some and dig into the soft bottom (usually). If it's too windy I don't take the boat out. A friend of mine has a rule of thumb: If the wind is blowing more mph than the length of his boat (15' jon) he usually stays home. Just anchoring straight-down will normally not work. Pay-out some line and secure it on a cleat.

...And for anchors it is called a rode, not a rope.

Absolutely correct :)

I also highly recommend about 3-5 feet of anchor chain attached to the anchor before connecting the anchor line. That will help keep the anchor in the correct relationship to the bottom for maximum holding power. It also reduces the tendancy of a surging boat to dislodge the anchor from the bottom.

I picked up the minn kota deckhand 15 what a sweet unit gonna get another for me in the rear of my 14FT jon,but for now one in the front where my wife sits keeps her from complaining about setting/retrieving the anchor.I just drop mine the oldschool way BY HAND lol.My hands are full with baiting the kids and my wife and fixing tangles ,removing fish etc etc so getting me a deckhand soon as I can.

FYI Fish-on, I have been useing the deckhand 15 since Mar 01. Love it. the only problems I have had with it, is that a couple of times it wouldn't lower. If that happens to you (and it will eventually) its the momentary switch located inside the housing, you will need to take the switch off, open it up and clean the "points" in it. The last time I was out, I had that happened to me again, cleaned the points when I got home, and then decided to go ahead and order me a couple extra just in case.
The part # is 237-4010 and cost $6.30 ea

Latest posts