Can, Spray, or Roll??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evattman

Reaction score
OK.....I need some advice. I friend of mine is giving me a 14 v hull aluminum boat. All I know about it is that it does does not leak and the paint job is flaking off. (I have been out in it) But it does have a pretty crappy bondo job that I will fix the right way. Anyway, I will strip it down and I have found some self etching primer.....in a spray can and in quarts.
So, Here is my question. Should I buy the spray cans or try and roll it on? I do have access to a sprayer, but its one of those that you would paint a house or fence with.
And if I do want to spray it, how many cans?

Also, I should ask the same questions about the actual painting process........spray can, roller, or sprayer?

Thanks for any advice. I will be taking plenty pictures of the project when I start next week.

I can't give you any advice as to what method to use becuase I havent painted my boat yet. But this link tells you that it would take 12 spray cans to camo a 14' boat inside and out.

https://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-STXSKS

I sprayed the red and black using rattle cans and I rolled the silver. The silver is not smooth and glossy like the red but it was faster and cheaper than alot of cans. Besides it's on the bottom so who cares.

Attachments

• 4 painted boat1-s.JPG
    4 painted boat1-s.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 986
I rolled both the primer and paint on mine, but it isn't a real smooth finish. Doesn't bother me, but it may somebody else. The process was easy and cheap with a roller which was my goal.

3weight said:
I can't give you any advice as to what method to use becuase I havent painted my boat yet. But this link tells you that it would take 12 spray cans to camo a 14' boat inside and out.

https://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-STXSKS

:shock: 12 cans?? WOW. Thats 65.42 for the primer......and 47.88 for the paint.

tornado said:
I sprayed the red and black using rattle cans and I rolled the silver. The silver is not smooth and glossy like the red but it was faster and cheaper than alot of cans. Besides it's on the bottom so who cares.

Tornado.....your paint looks really good in the pic. I think If I roll on flat paint, that is my best bet. I do try and keep the cost down

natetrack said:
I rolled both the primer and paint on mine, but it isn't a real smooth finish. Doesn't bother me, but it may somebody else. The process was easy and cheap with a roller which was my goal.

Cool....I think I have about decided to roll it all on with a flat paint.

Rolling flat paint works well.

I rolled my 1448 in mud brown for the base coat for the camo. It actually came out about as smooth as I could have sprayed it on, I think.

Just get a short nap roller to lessen the egg shell look.

After masking the line I wanted to follow at the waterline of the boat I roughed up the underside (down to mostly bare aluminum) with an electric sander, wiped it down with thinner and then a tack cloth. After that I used one of those tiny 3" or 4" trim rollers to apply 2 coats of RustScat (similar to Rustoleum) oil based enamel and it came out neary picture purfect the a real nice shine. I did this with both my last 12' rowboat and now my 14' Starcraft.

Attachments

• Picture_06 (Small).jpg
    Picture_06 (Small).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 957
I think those tiny rollers are great. I like the ones with the short nap. I then follow the rolling with a light quick brush stroke to smooth every thing out.

Mary

Latest posts