Electrical issue question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I can add at this time is there is a wire from the metal plate on the plastic fuel tank that does attach to the aluminum on the transom. Assuming a ground for static purposes when filling....?

If there's a fuel level sending unit in there, it likely needs to be grounded to the cranking battery to work properly. Otherwise, yes, likely a static ground.

Did you say your shutoff is on the NEGATIVE?
If so, that's your issue. Several things can bleed/backfeed power, and that power will be searching for a ground. Definitely put the shutoff on the positive side.

Forgive me if this was already addressed. I just saw this post and only read part of the first page.

Did you say your shutoff is on the NEGATIVE?
If so, that's your issue. Several things can bleed/backfeed power, and that power will be searching for a ground. Definitely put the shutoff on the positive side.

Forgive me if this was already addressed. I just saw this post and only read part of the first page.
Shutoff has been on both posts with no change at all. Actually don't need the shut off anymore as the parasitic draw was dealt with. At this time, I am using the bonding issue as the culprit. Don't even know how long this has been going on, stumbled across this issue by accident while searching for battery draw down problem.

Well, congrats then! Finding an electrcal drain is quite a relief.

I just found the ones on my big boat. It was the VHF radio and also a dead wire down in the bilge that was probably there for a washdown pump that was never installed.

By the way, I had a Johnson 60 that had strange electrical issues. It would leak current. It ran great, but I never figured out what caused the leak. Somewhere in the charging system, I suspect, but I never found the time to investigate.

Well, congrats then! Finding an electrcal drain is quite a relief.

I just found the ones on my big boat. It was the VHF radio and also a dead wire down in the bilge that was probably there for a washdown pump that was never installed.
Mine was also the SS radio and a timer switch for the live well. Didn't use either one so no loss there.