i need a side rail modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
I have a 14ft jon boat, that is painted RED. Year after year, the side rails of the boat get scratched up due to rubbing on concrete or metal docks. has anyone created a DIY project to protect them?

I thought about gluing a section of pvc pipe along the rail, running full span, but im not sure how that would look after all said and done. I'd like something that would form to the rail and not be that noticeable.

well, the edge rails are completely round, no flat surface at all.

what ever option i decide to go with, it has to be a material that cant be painted. or im gonna see scratches on that as well. with the boat being red, i think i could get away with this protector being black in color.the boat is red with black/dark grey interior. may not look that bad. now it just comes down to finding something in black.

You ever see the foam water pipe insulation pieces. About four foot long with a slit running down them to slip over the pipe. They also happen the be black. Might use a 3/4 inch one over the rail All the time or just when docking . Assuming you have some where to put it when not in use. Could double as a cat fish noodle. :mrgreen:

Insanity said:
You ever see the foam water pipe insulation pieces. About four foot long with a slit running down them to slip over the pipe. They also happen the be black. Might use a 3/4 inch one over the rail All the time or just when docking . Assuming you have some where to put it when not in use. Could double as a cat fish noodle. :mrgreen:

i thought of that but one swipe on a dock or rub against a tree in the water and it gets shredded. I am needing this for protection while in use. The boat is stored in my garage when not.

How about flexible electrical conduit? "Liquid Tight" is one brand I've used from Lowes. Comes in many diameters and coils up to 100 feet.

It's meant for exterior installation so is UV resistant. Split is down the middle and clamp it on with some 3M 4200.

You said the boat was red. What about hot water Pex water pipe it's red and flexible.
You could paint it and when it scratches it will still be a red.

i had a friend mention auto body trim. the stuff you saw in the 80's and 90's that would mainly be used to protect the doors from shopping carts and door opening dings.

pex is pretty expensive though. i dont think pex comes in a diameter large enough to cover the rails..........maybe?

possibly something like this? (expensive yes, but along these lines) I don't see why it wouldnt work but just not sure how tuff it is........ https://www.amazon.com/Body-Molding-Trim-Universal-Black/dp/B0060Z8ULA

Ever thought about taping it off a couple inches below the rail, and using something like Herculiner for truck beds or maybe even having it shot with Rhino Liner? That small of a space, and only 14ft long shouldn't be more than $100.00. You can even have it colored with pigment to match the boat.

PEX comes in large diameters. It is expensive.

Flexible electrical conduit not so much - I bought a 25' coil of 3/4" ID at Lowes for $15. OD is just under an inch.

Latest posts