New to forum, rust question.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahusker

Reaction score
Hello, I'm picking up this boat/motor and trailer tomorrow for $850. =D> One thing that needs to be done is a trailer refinish. Has anyone used a rust converter product or Naval Jelly to remove the rust before priming and painting? It sounds cheaper and easier than sandblasting.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 687
Use a drill or angle grinder with a wire wheel to remove loose rust and scale.Then seal with Por-15.Get the marine clean and use that to wipe everything down before coating.It really helps the coating stick.

Thanks for the reply, so I can skip the Metal Ready step? That would really help to keep the expense in check.

Marine Clean would be in addition to Metal Ready.Por-15 is a coating and painting system.When it's done correctly it will last for an extremely long time.

Angle grinder with wire brush will be your friend. Don't get one of those sissy little single strand brushes. You need a real one with the 8 or so twists of heavy wire. Then, prime with Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer, and paint with Rustoleum paint, or whatever other product you want, if you are interested in spending more. I have found Rustoleum to hold up well, and it is your cheapest option. A rock is going to chip any paint, short of bedliner, and the rustoleum is a cheaper fix.

Latest posts