Soft Tip?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMDave

Reaction score
What exactly does a "soft tip" mean? I see this a lot but never quite understood what it meant. Thanks for the help

as I understand it(qualifier so no one can rip me if I'm wrong), a soft tip is when the taper is small at the top so it bends more easily(soft). This is good to protect light lines so the when the fish pulls it's got some give, but there's still a good backbone fight with. Not like an ultra light noodle feel.

I think Nickk nailed it - it just means that the rod tip bends easily. For example - Ugly Stick rods all have very soft tip - no matter hos heavy the rod is.

And BTW Nickk, no one gets ripped to harshly on here (well, except for Jim and BassAddict, but they deserve it :D) and I know Jim plans to keep it that way so let it fly

esquired said:
I think Nickk nailed it - it just means that the rod tip bends easily. For example - Ugly Stick rods all have very soft tip - no matter hos heavy the rod is.

And BTW Nickk, no one gets ripped to harshly on here (well, except for Jim and BassAddict, but they deserve it :D) and I know Jim plans to keep it that way so let it fly
Then wouldn't a fast tip be the same thing as a fast/extra fast tip?

esquired said:

In know but a little CYA never hurts! :D

SMDave said:

I believe (and I know RedBug can explain this in detail) that a fast and extra fast tip are close, but not the same. Same idea, they are both stiff tips that allow for greater sensitivity

Here it is explained:*

Action
The "action" of a rod is determined by where a rod flexes along the blank. Faster action rods flex mostly near the tip. Moderate action rods flex more near the middle of the blank. Slower action rods flex down into the butt section.
power.gif

Power

The "power" of a rod refers to how much pressure it takes to flex the rod. Different rod powers are engineered to efficiently handle a certain range of lure weights and line sizes. To select a rod power that will perform best for you, simply narrow your choices to rods designed to cast the weight of lures — and sizes of lines — you’ll fish with most often. It’s that simple.

UL Ultra Light
L Light
ML Medium Light
M Medium
MH Medium Heavy
H Heavy
XH Extra Heavy

* From the St. Croix web site

Hope this helps - now go fishing!

esquired said:
SMDave said:

I believe (and I know RedBug can explain this in detail) that a fast and extra fast tip are close, but not the same. Same idea, they are both stiff tips that allow for greater sensitivity

Here it is explained:*

Action
The "action" of a rod is determined by where a rod flexes along the blank. Faster action rods flex mostly near the tip. Moderate action rods flex more near the middle of the blank. Slower action rods flex down into the butt section.
power.gif

Power

The "power" of a rod refers to how much pressure it takes to flex the rod. Different rod powers are engineered to efficiently handle a certain range of lure weights and line sizes. To select a rod power that will perform best for you, simply narrow your choices to rods designed to cast the weight of lures — and sizes of lines — you’ll fish with most often. It’s that simple.

UL Ultra Light
L Light
ML Medium Light
M Medium
MH Medium Heavy
H Heavy
XH Extra Heavy

* From the St. Croix web site

Hope this helps - now go fishing!
OOOOPS! I meant, isn't a soft tip basically the same thing as a fast or x-fast rod?

But you said the bend is at the tip, not the whole rod. Oh forget it, slow action it is!

Dave - for most applications I would recommend fast action tips - especially for things such as weightless soft plastics.

A slow (or soft) tip rod is better when throwing live bait or very large lures - like in Catfishing or for Muskie.

Think of it this way - a surf rod would have a slower tip, get it?

All my rods are fast or extra fast action

esquired said:
Dave - for most applications I would recommend fast action tips - especially for things such as weightless soft plastics.

A slow (or soft) tip rod is better when throwing live bait or very large lures - like in Catfishing or for Muskie.

Think of it this way - a surf rod would have a slower tip, get it?

All my rods are fast or extra fast action
Yep thanks for the explanation :D

esquired posted a very good illustration of rod action.

Too many confuse action and power. They are two totally separate and independant terms.

"Soft tip" is a little deceiving and can mean different things to different anglers. Most seem to feel that Fast and XFast rods are rods that will have "soft tips". Meaning that under even a relatively light load the tip will easily flex. And usually just the tip flexes until it starts to hit that transition to the mid section.

Slow rods can also have "soft tips". Most people don't typically view it that way as the flex pattern of the blank typically masks that.

Very informative Mr. Esquired, that will be just for us at tinboats, not the evil site :twisted:

Latest posts