Today was the Day!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For many weeks this one particular Hella-Bass had kept toying with me all summer long out on Kernersville Park Lake. Well, today was the day that I finally got her in the boat.

I was up early and decided at the last minute to head out to Kernersville to get my "fish on" this morning after getting the kids off to school and Momma off to work. Got there at 8 AM, rented the boat, loaded er up and sailed off to the fishing grounds.... First cast was at 8:30.

As always, I paddled out to the fallen trees where this beast has tortured me for weeks. Once again, right on que, there she was, chasing shad & sunfish jumping all around me slapping the water with each jump. I tried a different tactic today, instead of franticly throwing lines at the scene of the jump and quickly paddling towards any splashes I elected to sit still, (now possible with my two new home made ancors .... rope, zip ties and two 5lb dumb bells ... ha ha ha) I watched to see if there was a patteren. Sure enough, this Bass would breech the water about 20 feet out towards the deep away from the trees then when all would settle down I would notice some water movement around the longest tree in the water from the bank.

I selected a 1.5 KVD series lure sexy shad color with a touch of charteuse on it, using my Abu Garcia Silver Max mounted on a Berkley Cherrywood medium action rod with berkley 14 lb test line. I first focused on the outter edge from the tree then I started throwing closer to the tree trying to be careful not to get snagged on a limb. I must have made 15 or so casts. I sat back down to rethink things over when right near me, SPLASH!!! with a loud slap of the water ... .I was seriously thinking, this fish is messing with me!! For some unknown reason I looked right at the tip of the tree, made the cast and put the lure right where I was looking, cranked maybe 4 times and she hit, big time!! I knew right away i was not snagged on a limb, she put up a heck of a fight!!! Got her in the boat and was blown away at the size of her ... Got my picture on the wall of fame ..... misson complete.

She officially weighed in at 5 lbs 6 oz

IMAG0866.jpg

IMAG0867.jpg

View attachment 1

Attachments

• IMAG0874.jpg
    IMAG0874.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 177
Nice catch! Can't wait to get home and do some fishing. Im right on the VA/NC line, where (geographically) are you in NC?

Great report - gotta love when a plan actually works (so few of mine do, but that does not stop me from trying more)

Like how you waited her out -

Latest posts