Total noob Q - what even is this stuff?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhambus

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am a toal newbie to the jon boat world (coming from a sunfish) and I recently picked up a 1996 Starcraft Fishmaster 145 that I am stripping down to turn into a family w/kids pleasure boat. I have looked up a bunch of threads and videos about carpeting the boat, which is fine, but this boat is mostly covered not in carpet but in what I think is some kind of marine vinyl on the inside, and it's worn out with holes in it (pics attached). I am not sure, however, 1. what this stuff is and 2. do I need to replace it? It has a fuzzy backing on it and appears to have been glued or was maybe self-sticky when they put it on 24 years ago, but most of what I see on the forums and in video has marine vinyl for seats if relevant but carpet for floors (there is carpet on the inside of the hull, but not on any of the fixtures). The wood floor was covered with it too, and is still in OK shape, though with holes for the fishing seats I need to patch (I want to just have bench seats).

What is the deal here, and does anyone have suggestions as to whether I need to replace this, or how to get the residue off, or what have you?

Attachments

• boat maybe vinyl.jpg
    boat maybe vinyl.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 333
Tear it off, clean the substrate & put in new covering of your choice. It won't be expensive & will look great when it's done. Sounds like you have some kids who would enjoy watching or helping with the project.

Use a heat gun to warm the vinyl to aid in removing it easier. It doesn't take much heat. Then I would remove the residue using automotive wax and grease remover. If the wax and grease remover doesn't work then I would use automotive gun wash thinners. Scrub the residue using the chemicals with red Scotch Brite pads. But do it in a well ventilated area with fans blowing the fumes away or you will get high.

Thanks! I tore a bunch more of it off today, and I am pretty sure it was textured marine vinyl. I'll try to figure out how to best stick the new stuff down, once I decide on carpet vs. vinyl. Also, thanks for the auto wax and grease remover tip - getting all the rest of the stickum off is going to be my next challenge here.

And thankfully, the wood deck is more or less OK - not soft anywhere, and I am not inclined to tear it out if I don't have to. There is foam under it that seems like it might be kind of wet, though, which I don't love, but which I can probably just live with.

You could cut a hole in plywood towards the stern with hole saw & remove some foam. Then keep sopping the water up for now. It won't dry up by itself.

Hmm, OK, thanks. I figured it would only dry up very slowly, if at all. I was wondering if there was some kind of miracle cure for it!