The Tohatsu 5hp LPG is a propane powered outboard. What do you think of this? There are advantages, but are there disadvantages? You can always bring a portable bbq grill with you on the boat now. I like the idea of ultra low emissions and supposed no power loss, is that true? Will Tohatsu and others turn to propane for bigger outboards?
I took the below information right from the Tohatsu website, Why reinvent the wheel?
Thanks to Tohatsu’s 5hp Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) outboard, sailors are no longer forced to carry gasoline on board. The 5hp LPG comes equipped with a fuel line that will connect to any standard North American propane tank. Our innovative LPG outboard will run for a full 5 hours at WOT on a single 11lb propane tank, without sacrificing performance.
Exclusive to Tohatsu’s LPG outboard is the Safety Fuel Shut Off Valve which keeps propane fuel from continuously running when engine is not in use. Plus, since the 5hp LPG does not require ethanol or gas, this propane outboard requires almost zero maintenance on fuel related components. We offer a 20” and 25” shaft Sail Pro model which includes a 12V 60W 5A charging system and high thrust prop. What sailor doesn’t want a virtually maintenance free engine that has their back?
Tohatsu 5hp Propane 4-Stroke Benefits:
- Sailors are no longer forced to carry gasoline on board
- No possibility of ethanol/gasoline related failures
- Virtually maintenance free fuel system
- 30% cleaner emissions*
- Quieter operations without compromising engine performance
- Ultra-low emission, EPA and CARB 3-Star rating approved
- 5 Year limited warranty
*Based on Tohatsu Corporation Engineering Department data.
Easy Operation and Handling:
- Digital CD ignition for easier engine starting, quicker throttle response and smoother trolling
- A larger recoil reel and compression release valve makes starting fast and easy
- Shallow water drive and 6 trim positions
- Adjustable steering friction for reducing steering effort
- Optional steering lock kit available
Fundamentals for User Convenience and Reliability:
- Through-the-prop exhaust for a quieter ride
- Aluminum rubber hub propeller for quieter operation, less vibration and better performance
- Thermostatically controlled cooling system for consistent engine temperature
- Stainless steel water pump housing liner for outstanding durability
- High grade marine aluminum alloy that provides the ultimate protection against corrosion
- Zinc coating on internal water passages for superior corrosion resistance
- Low oil pressure indicator
- Safety lanyard (an essential protection feature standard on all Tohatsu outboards)
- Start-in-gear protection for safer engine starting
- Over-rev. limiter
- Exclusive Fuel Safety Shut Off Valve
|Model / MFS5CLPG|
|Engine (No. of Cylinder)||1|
|Output||5 hp (3.7 kw)|
|Displacement||123 cc (7.5 cu.in.)|
|Bore x Stroke||59 x 45 mm (2.32 x 1.77 in)|
|Control Type||Tiller Handle|
|Gear Shift||Forward – Neutral – Reverse|
|Propeller Selection Range||6″ – 9″|
|Transom Height||15″, 20″, 25″|
|Fuel||LPG HD-5 (More than 65% Propane)|
|Fuel Consumption @ WOT||Fuel Efficiency: 11lb (5kg) 5h @ WOT|
|Oil Capacity||15 fl. oz. (450 mL)|
|Max Torque||7.2/4,100 (N-m/rpm)|
|Alternator Output||**12V, 60W, 5A|
|Max. RPM Range||5,000 – 6,000|
|Digital CD Ignition System||S|
|Safety Fuel Shut Off Valve||S|
|Start In Gear Protection||S|
|Thermostat Controlled Cooling System||S|
|Shallow Water Drive||S|
|Oil Pressure Warning||S|
O……Optional on Certain Models* Weight specification is based on the lightest version.
** Optional on short shaft model, standard on Sailpro models.
Specifications and descriptions are subject to change without notice.
|1 Remote tanks not provided with motor
* Sail Pro models come standard with a high-thrust prop and 12V charging system.MSRP is the “Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price” (US$). Actual retail price may vary. Please contact your local dealer for actual retail price.Specifications subject to change without notice. Additional models and/or configurations may be available. Contact your local dealer for details.
I love the innovation and would love to hear some real word feedback. If this outboard peaks your interest, make sure to check out Tohatsu’s website by clicking on the link below.
Link: Tohatsu Website